cant open my door

i have a 405 estate (mreg) and the rear left passenger door is jammed.

I cant get it to unlock using either the central locking or the internal door button. I can hear the central locking mechanism "working" when i try to use that but nothing happens. The front 2 doors unlock from the central locking. The rear right passenger door doesnt work off the central locking but thats cause either the unit is duff in that door or a wire is loose(im working on it slowly), but works fine off the door button.

so any ideas on how to get it open short of ripping it off violently?? i need to sort it soon cos the mot is due next month.

cheers in advance si

Reply to
cavemansi

Try part removal of the interior door trim. The door closer has 3 tork screws - the door winder if fitted just pulls off. Lever off the upper trim - the lock button wire runs at the top of door. Note that there are 2 wires operating the lock. You may be able to grip the upper wire (lock button) with a mole wrench and pull it towards the front of the car. Some silicone spray at the lock end and down the lock button may assist. Also try the internal door lock wire but if this is set to child proof then it will not work.

If that does not work then it may be possible to remove the external door handle and work on the lock from outside but space is very restricted. If you damage the door trim then a replacement is easily obtained from a local scrap yard.

As far as I am aware the MOT does not require the rear vehicle doors to pen - only the front 2 doors must be able to latch securely and be able to open from inside/outside. This was the case some years ago but not sure of position today. Better check with MOT tester! (after all when you set the child proof locks then you are not able to open from inside the car and of course anyone who has ever sat in the back of a police car is not able to open the door for fairly obvious reasons - not that I have personal experience mind)

Reply to
wains

never been able to figure that out... open the window open the door....

just like trains

Reply to
Tom Burton

Not if it's a car with electric windows and an over-ride button to stop anyone but the driver controlling the windows!

Cheers

Dave P

Reply to
David Precious

Just checked

for rear doors open/close. Just specifies front passenger and drivers door must be able to latch and to open from inside and outside.

Looks like rear doors are not covered.

Reply to
wains