Hyundai Coupe - passenger door won't open

My dad can't get the passenger door to open on his '97 Hyundai Coupe. It's impossible to unlock the passenger door, both with the key and the
switch on the inside of the door - the switch and key move as you'd expect and feel 'positive' enough, but neither the interior or exterior handle will open the door. Even the central locking still appears to be working (the passenger door lock switch toggles when you activate the one on the driver's door) but the door just ignores the position of the switch.
I've had a mooch, but it appears that to take off the door trim, you have to remove six screws that (you guessed it) you can only get at when the door is open. Short of destroying the interior door trim, is there any way to get the door to open?
--
David Thornber

David Thornber says...

Looks like the rod has fallen off the door latch mechanism. I think you'll find no is a probable answer. Try pulling at the back first though. If that comes off enough to get your hand in, have a feel around the lock mechanism for a "sticky out bit" with a small hole in it. Move it and that'll unlock it.
--
Conor

I've looked at the driver's door, and the screws are on the leading edge, underside and trailing edge of the door. Unless there's a way to get the centre section out (it looks like it might be two separate mouldings but there are no obvious fixings joining them together) then I've already removed the only bit you can without trashing the door trim.
With it being a two door car, I thought there might be a possibility of removing the rear interior trim and unbolting the body side of the catch mechanism. I wasn't going to go ripping into it on the off-chance though.
I think this one's best left for the dealer. They may have a knack for getting in there that doesn't destroy what I'm sure will be a pretty expensive part.
Cheers!
--
David Thornber

David Thornber wrote:

I've got a similar thing on my Mazda. Turns out a bit of bent metal on the lock had snapped off so the lever etc was moving right, but not actually connected to the latching mechanism.