Alternator failing but battery light not coming on?

Would it be possible for an alternator be faulty (undercharging) and yet the battery light not giving any indication it is faulty? (the battery indicator is working) (normally battery light dimly glows if the alternator is failing)

Reply to
Alf Higgins

Yes. if the belt is slipping, (doesn't always screech) or if the stator is faulty there will be no difference between main output and warning light output so the light will go out as normal

JOhn

Reply to
John

The message from Alf Higgins contains these words:

That depends on its mode of failure.

Reply to
Guy King

It's possible, just rather uncommon.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Yes when my alternator failed the light didn't come on. It depends on what fails and what the car is.

Reply to
Depresion

Yes. I once had an alternator that was unable to keep the battery charged, although it was charging. No outward signs at all, apart from the battery gradually getting weaker over a couple of days after fully charging with a mains charger. A diode had failed. A new diode pack cured the problem. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yes.

Might do under some conditions, but not a reliable indication.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)