Car parked on hill, oil reading higher or lower?

If a car was parked on a hill, with the engine pointing up the hill, would the oil dipstick reading be higher or lower than normal? Or does it depend on the engine?

Reply to
Adrian

Don't check your oil when parked on a hill. It depends if the dipstick is at the front or back of the engine and if the car is facing up or down hill. Think about it logically, oil gets pulled by gravity as well.

Reply to
gazzafield

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Assuming the dipstick is at the front of the engine, then pointing uphill the oil will be leaning away from the stick and reading low.

Reply to
Guy King

Depends on whether it's a transverse engine or not and where the dipstick is, dunnit.

Reply to
Malc

dipstick is

lol, my car was serviced on a hill, and it only just occured to me a few days ago that some of the jobs must've been impossible. Fluid levels obviously would've been out by a bit. I also doubt that he would've removed the back wheels because they're the only things stopping it from rolling.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Why would they remove the back wheels fo a service??? Peter, your comments get more stupid!

Andy

Reply to
akd

The message from akd contains these words:

Depends on the service. Perhaps the service at the mileage requires the shoe thickness to be checked.

Reply to
Guy King

Ah, people on here have told me that wheels should normal be removed for the service. Mainly to check the brakes, but probably just the front.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk