Car pulling to the left

I've just collected a 1926 Spagthorpe Bologne from Pontefract and discovered it's pulling to the left when going round right hand bends.

It appears to be a rare 'Monza' edition of the car with double overhead thust buckets.

Do you think I need a new pushrod sprigot crank?

Reply to
ewa.kowalka

Hhmmm....think you've been mugged there. There's plenty of people in this NG who could tell you that the Monza edition was discontinued in 1925 and replaced by the 'Montyzoomaz' streamlined rearend model. ...should have checked on the parkers website before you handed your dosh over.

Reply to
ToxOgrady

No.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

No, it's the permangulator that's knackered. Always happened with the monza model.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Ahhh, makes sense.

I assume I need a reverse screw thread skyhook permangulator, or is it just the regular left hand thread flanged permangulator?

Reply to
ewa.kowalka

Arse!

I knew something was wrong. I offered to pay the buyer in Outer Mongolian Groats and he didn't argue. Should have realised at the time.

Still, even if it's only a standard Bologne 'Blackpool' edition, it has to be worth more than 500 OMGs.

Reply to
ewa.kowalka

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words:

The regular will do but you'll have to cross-drill the mating spigot to allow for the scones.

Reply to
Guy King

For pulling to the left you need the right hand thread. The only other solution is to go round right hand bends in reverse, then it's pulling the right way.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I'd hazard a guess that it's the ring thrust bearing on the rear end mating spline, which is causing it to pull off in the wrong direction.

Reply to
Ivan

The message from "Ivan" contains these words:

So the scones'll come out greasy instead of buttery? Hmm, it's not something I'd want to leave to chance, but it the OP is happy with greasy scones then it's an idea.

Reply to
Guy King

Greasy scones aren't an issue, so long as they still penetrate the sprigot flange.

Reply to
ewa.kowalka

That would just be silly.

Unless I found the rarely available taper bearing gudgeon ring adaptor.

Reply to
ewa.kowalka

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words:

Bugger - I saw two of them at a boot sale last Autumn. Of course, neither still had the pretensioner with 'em, they always were pingfuckits[1] but not hard to knock one of from a coarse nut, a fine thread and the bellows from a cuckoo clock or anaeroid barometer.

[1] Word invented in urmc (IIRC) to describe the bit that goes ping (fuckit) when you open something like an indicator switch stalk. Best new word I've heard for ages.
Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com saying something like:

By this time the Gurkhas will be shagged. You really need the later one-shot steam perambulating flange from the '36 model. It should fit perfectly well if you have a fully-equipped machine shop. The listed job time is only 7 days or so.

If you can't afford to run it, you shouldn't have bought it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hmmmm, anearoid baraometer, you say?

Could be a problem.

Is there a procedure to adapt a self-tensioning plutonium variator barometer to perform the same task?

Reply to
ewa.kowalka

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words:

No. It's clear you know f*ck all about it. (Ooop, sorry, Conor mode there)

Yes - with patience, a dremel and some needlefiles you can turn almost anything into almost anthing else.

Reply to
Guy King

Make sure the arisins for the Greasy scone the hard type as the soft ones tend to fail under compression.

Reply to
Conor