Car pulls to the left

Just started happening recently... car is pulling to the left.. I hafta constantly turn a bit towards the right to keep it straight. Both front tires are getting very bald & need to be replaced, but the tire pressures are both 40psi & have almost the same tread width... driver side (left from in-cab view) has a bit more tread than passenger side. What are some of the first things I should be looking for when I inspect this problem? Thanks.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Alignment and balance. Did you hit any curbs or really hard bumps recently?

Reply to
66 6F HCS

No... never hit a curb.. or potholes. There are mean speedbumps in my apartment complex, but i always go reaaaaaaal slow over 'em...

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

It just sounds like an alignment problem. Some places will give you a free inspection.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Of course it could be a problem with one of your brakes dragging too.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I just replaced brake pads on front... replacing brake pads on rear sometime this week. Rear pads need replacement pretty bad. Any recommendations for a place to inspect alignment issues?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

opined in news:sfbPc.2568$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:

Could be alignment.

but bad tires cause this, too.. fortunate for you they are getting replaced

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I'm going to pick up a couple new tires tomorrow AM. We'll see if the situation improves at all. Thanks.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Don't rule out the tires themselves. Try temporarily swapping front tires and see if the car pulls to the opposite direction. Or you could try a normal rotation and see if the problem changes condition. My point here is to check the obvious first (yes tires can do this). An alignment may still be in order depending on whether a tire itself is solely at fault or worn due to vehicle misalignment eventually causing tire pull...

For more insight, check out the link below taking note of the last two paragraphs followed by the diagnostic step procedure....HTH

-- Mike

93 Cobra

Reply to
Mike R

Cool, thanks Mike R. I'll go swap the front tires. I'll post in a few with the results.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Scratch that. My impact wrench died a couple weeks ago. I don't feel like using a crowbar to take the tires off... maybe after I buy a torque wrench. I don't hafta drive the car today so I'll just check it tomorrow.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Check your REAR pressure too. Believe it or not, it will cause your car to pull. Worn tires cause pulling too regardless of the pressure. Your new tires should cure the problem.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Ok...

*sigh* Shug was pulling hard left. Both of the front tires were worn on the inside. Obvious tire wear issues. The tread was thin on the inside, and fine on the outside. I took her in as soon as we landed here in Tennessee. I put two new front tires on and took her to Sloan Ford in Columbia for an alignment and brake job. I picked her up a week later (it had snowed a foot so I waited to go get her) and on the way out of town (I picked her up after the dealership had closed) I let go of the steering wheel on a nice straight flat stretch of road, and she changed lanes on me. I was really pissed.

When I got home I got to thinking and then checked the pressure all the way around, and sure enough the left rear tire was considerably lower than the others. I put some air in the tire and took her out....

She ran straight as an arrow down the road.

So, the moral of this story is: If your tires are worn out, replace them. Look for signs of abnormal wear, a good indicator of bad alignment. Then check all of your tire pressures and THEN start thinking about alignment.

If something ain't broke, no sense in fixing it.

Kate

| > -Mike | >

| > > Alignment and balance. Did you hit any curbs or really hard bumps | > recently? | > > -- | > > Scott W. | > > '66 Mustang HCS 289 | > > '68 Ranchero 500 302 | > > '69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W | > > '97 Cougar 30th Anniv SE 4.6L | > > ThunderSnake #57 | > >

Reply to
SVTKate

Ok, now if these are directonal radials... THAT's gonna be a smart thing to do.

| > For more insight, check out the link below taking note of the last two | > paragraphs followed by the diagnostic step procedure....HTH | >

| > -- | > Mike | > 93 Cobra | >

| > In article , | > wrote: | >

| > > No... never hit a curb.. or potholes. There are mean speedbumps in my | > > apartment complex, but i always go reaaaaaaal slow over 'em... | > >

| > > -Mike | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Thanks Mom.

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

Go to your room smart ass.

LOL

Kate

| > When I got home I got to thinking and then checked the pressure all the | way | > around, and sure enough the left rear tire was considerably lower than the | > others. I put some air in the tire and took her out.... | >

| > She ran straight as an arrow down the road. | >

| > So, the moral of this story is: | > If your tires are worn out, replace them. Look for signs of abnormal wear, | a | > good indicator of bad alignment. Then check all of your tire pressures and | > THEN start thinking about alignment. | >

| > If something ain't broke, no sense in fixing it. | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Rear tires both have 40psi.. they are brand new. See sig. 'preciate it though, mom ;).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Dont' know if you're being sarcastic or not... but yes, the left is a directional tire.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I was, for a reason.... they are directional because you are not supposed to run them backwards. If you put them on the opposite sides, they will be on backwards. Like putting your shoes on the wrong feet.

Front to back is cool, but left to right is wrong.

love

mom

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Hey Mikie... Hubby was asking whereabouts you are in Arkansas.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate