Car scrapyards with Daewoo parts, West London/Manchester?

Hi everyone - does anyone know of any good scrapyards in the West London (or Manchester) areas who have a fair amount of Daewoo parts? I've been told I need a cap-and-rotor and Hl/HT-cables (any explanations of these things would be appreciated) by one mechanic, and a whole new engine, for my Nexia GLXi, by another (who didt know what cap and rotor or HL/HT cables were either). Doesn't help that Daewoos seem to eat through parts like cream cheese. Thanks, HS

Reply to
HS

Before you do anything I would get a 3rd opinion.

Any mechanic would know what a cap/rotor/HT leads are and any faults with the ignition system is totally different to needing a new engine!

Reply to
Alan

Cap and rotor are parts of the ignition system. They cost around £10 for most cars. I'm not sure if the Daewoo has a conventional distributor. The cables are the wires from the distributor to the spark plugs and coil. They cost around £20-50 for a set depending on the source.

A mechanic who doesn't know what a cap and rotor are probably isn't best qualified to tell you you need a new engine, unless the car doesn't have these components and he was confused as to why you'd been told you needed them. Most petrol engines have HT leads.

There are some other things that cause poor running on the 1.5 Nexia, including crank sensor (flywheel, IIRC) and some others which I can't remember. I'm fairly sure these cars /do/ have a conventional distributor and therefore a distributor cap and rotor arm.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

I suppose it's possible that they have a coil pack with wasted spark ignition. My Cinq. operated on this principle and therefore didn't have a distributor.

However, such a system would still need HT leads, I can't see that something like an old Daewoo would have coils integral with the plug leads.

Reply to
SteveH

get another opinion mate sounds like the mechs don't know their stuff. as it has been said you should be able to get ht leads [spark plug leads] for £15-£30. shop around a dizzy cap should cost no more than £20 tops, a rotor arm I guess would be £4-£10. don't forget this car is based on the old Vauxhall astra and I don't think the engine is any different. mark.w

Reply to
mark williams

The engine is a 1.5 unit developed for the Korean and US markets by GM. I don't know how much Vauxhall is in there per se, but you won't find it in any Astra. You will find it in a Pontiac LeMans, however, which is the /real/ base for the Daewoos.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Yeah, seems everyone who replied said the same - tis a shame, I was gonna go back there, he seemed such a pretty good guy! Whcih is unusual for a mechanic in London, it seems.....

Reply to
HS

I've tried looking for service manuals online for the Daewoo so I can learn these things... but it seems that Haynes at least don't make any. It's definitely got HT leads as everyone has described - that connect the sparkplug 'holsters' to the power source next to the engine

Reply to
HS

Wicked - I'd rather claim my car's based on a Pontiac than a Vauxhall any day!

Reply to
HS

Well the intructions for how to change the HT leads , rotoe arm & distributor cap are almost identical for everything. Only tricky bit is making sure you put the sparkplug leads back the way they came off.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

thanks for putting me right Richard! mark.we

Reply to
mark williams

I'm going to jump in here :-)

I also have a Nexia 1.5 GLXi (R-reg). It runs a little rough at times, almost as though it's mis-firing. Under decent acceleration it's fine and never mis-fires, and has a fair amount of power (for a 1.5). However, when just maintaining the same speed, it can seem a bit "jumpy" - I'm struggling to describe the problem here.

Had it looked at by a garage and they did all the diagnostics, and the only thing they could find wrong was that the "caps" on the ends of the HT lead from coil to dizzy were corroded - problem seemed to go away for a little after changing that, but has (reasonably gradually) come back.

I've got one of the little Gunsons tester things for reading off any fault codes stored in the ECU, but it doesn't show any errors.

I intend to replace the HT leads as a first step to see if that makes any improvement. However, I'd very much appreciate any further info about the other things you say cause rough running (including the crank sensor).

Cheers!

Dave P

Reply to
David Precious

Could you order Pontiac LeMans parts from your Vx dealer in the UK? ISTR something similar in an article about a Vectra with bits off some of the GM machinery from amerkia.

Reply to
Doki

either).

I also have a Nexia and this place has been excellent in providing me with any second hand parts that have been impossible to find elsewhere.

They're based inStaffordshire but do mail order. I don't know exactly what the Nexiaengine is based on but I'm told that this engine (especially the 16vGLXi) needs regular oils changes and is prone tocambelt / tensioner failure if not replaced at recommended intervals.Apart from that it is a fairly reliable lump. Mine has done 135,000miles, burns a bit of oil but starts first turn and never misses a beat.

Reply to
Mark