Car ventillation.

My car has a heater that blows air in from the outside, as most cars do.

Where does this air leave? I have never seen any vents anywhere.

The front firewall is impervious and all the doors have plastic membranes in them, preventing air from escaping.

There are no obvious vents in the boot, floor or roof either.

Does car ventillation rely on leaks through door seals etc?

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

My car manual says that the air exits via the rear seats / parcel shelf and out through the boot. Although as you say, there are no obvious vents.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

There are usually one way flaps at the rear somewhere, if you start pulling out boot carpet or remove the rear bumper you can usually see them.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If you mention make/model, someone might know.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Some have provision in the rear doors - to take the air from insde and dump it on the other side of the seal 0 with non- return flaps. Rear bumper is most usual though.

Good game finding it.

Reply to
john

Sit a nicotine abuser in the car, run the fan on full speed and see where the smoke comes out?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

As others have said, the air gets out somewhere, but if you open the door slightly, or wind a window down a bit you find that because there is a better escape of air more air comes from the blower and the car will heat up more quickly. Some cold air may get in from the open window but it depends on whether you are travelling or not, and how fast. Often the inside air leaving the car prevents outside air getting in.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Like someone else said, but less offensive would be to get a couple of smoke matches or pellets from a plumbers merchant, set the heating going as usual with the windows up and set them off inside, watch for the smoke leaks. The smoke disappears completely after a short time so your car isn't ruined.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

Behind the tail-lights is a favourite. Or from the rear doors through a flap in the liner.

Reply to
Guy King

Depends on the car.

My Astra Estate has vents in the panels that you remove to get at the rear light clusters, and ventilation slots below these venting out behind the rear plastic bumper. I think my old '95 Cavalier was the same.

The golf has a row of vents under the back window.

Reply to
R. Murphy

The message from "R. Murphy" contains these words:

My Audi 100 vents from below the side rear windows.

Reply to
Guy King