Car Warranties .

A thought occurred to me yesterday after talking to my garage about changing the cambelt on my Mondeo. I have looked before at aftermarket warranties and one I looked at a few minutes ago was about £200 for a years warranty but with a number of exclusions and servicing requirements but many owners do such servicing themselves .. The one thing that WOULD cause a lot of damage and expense would be the cambelt snapping so I suppose taking or not taking out such a warranty is a calculated risk so why not have a warranty purely to cover the belt breaking and the consequential damage with ,obviously, the requirement that it be changed at specified intervals per the manfrs recommendation ...... Has any belt manf'r ever been held responsible for the cost of damage caused by their belt breaking ,assuming it was replaced properly and hadnt exceeded the recommended mileage .. Anyone care to offer an opinion . Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

You'll find that a big part of the cost is usually in the cost of servicing. They require you to have them service it which is usually =A3300-500. A local garage could probably do the same job (just as well) for less than half the price.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

You need to read the fine print very carefully with any extended warranty. For a start they most likely will not cover any wear and tear parts (that includes a cambelt BTW). They will almost certainly stipulate full servicing too, some may exceed the manufacturers serving and insist on increased servicing.

You will also be required to prove that you've had the servicing done by a competent person - reciepts, service stamps etc. Normally they will require a stamp from a VAT registered mechanic.

However, back to the cambelt, I have hardly ever seen a cambelt break of its own accord, they nearly always fail because another component has worn or failed first - water pumps and tensioner pulleys are usual culprits.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Personally, I wouldn't trust aftermarket warranties. There are bound to be arguments over what is covered on a car that's out of manufacturer's warranty. The warranty issuer does not intend to loose money, so it's a poor bet. IMO the money is better spent on planned maintenance and the occasional repair. I good garage will even give 12 months warranty for repairs.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Probably not worth the paper its written on, just service the car properly and change the cambelt 10K or 6 months before the recommended interval. The only warranty really worth having these days is a new car manufacturers warranty but as you're paying for it in the price of the car, it should be good !

Reply to
Rushing7

I agree not worth the money. I tried to claim for 4 wishbone bushes on my omega front suspension. Not a kin chance mate they are not covered i was told. I pointed out that the wishbones were covered in the documentation. Aha but it does not say bushes does it they said. I asked how on earth they expected a wishbone to fail mechanically if not in the bush and balljoint areas. Whats a ball joint they asked. I told them where to jam there wish bones and hung up. 3 moths later i get the call "your warranty is about to expire do you wish to renew it at special price". This was one cold call that got a heated answer. Seriously though the very fact that your on this newsgroup will give you acess to much more information and experience to sort your own car out than any warranty.

Reply to
Gary Millar