1994 golf diesel with petrol in the tank!!!

would anybody out there be kind enough to help me sort out this problem. I have petrol in the diesel tank (about 4 gallons) and cannot syphon it off and the fuel pump does not seem to pump fuel without the engine actually running.is there a way of draining the tank without the need for costly garage bills ? there is an anti syphon device on the tank so that is a no no. but i have cans and pipes at the ready if anyone can offer a helping hand. Thanks to you all.

Reply to
mkw1801

I'd just brim the car with diesel.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem - petrol was often added to thin diesel in cold winters...

Reply to
chris

Brim full of diesel & it should be fine, otherwise you can disconnect the hose at the fuel filter & hotwire the motor.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

problem. I

actually

Is it possible to disconnect a fuel pipe under the car and drain some out that way?

Reply to
Malc

I would suspect that only what's in the pipes will come out, which won't be much.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Did I just read this correctly?

Peter, I have to ask.

Have you heard of gravity?

Reply to
Pete M

If I remember correctly, if you lift the back seat, there's an access panel to get to the tank sender unit and pipes. You can then remove the sender unit and get the fuel out.

On this car, the only fuel pump, is the lift pump built into the injection pump.

Is the car still running? If it is, add a cup of oil to the tank, and fill up with diesel. The cup off oil will help counteract the reduced lubricating properties off the petrol.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

I'm not familiar with VW Diesels, but the Peugeot deisels my family have had, up to and beyond this vintage, all had manual priming pumps under the bonnet as diesel injection pumps seem to be good at blowing but not very good at sucking, the primer was to give it a hand in the event that you ran out of fuel.

It's not what they were designed for, but in such a situation the priming pump could be used with a jubilee clip and a length of spare hose to get a siphon going and empty the tank.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Been there,done that. Even got the T-shirt!

Just keep topping it up after every gallon used.

Reply to
Peat

Thank you.

Reply to
Malc

It's OK that way round. I remember a phone call from my dad the night before he was going on holiday in his new car: "I've just filled the car up with diesel." "But dad your new car's got a petrol engine." "Yes I know, that's why I'm calling!" He spent most of the evening syphoning it through the fuel gauge opening...

Reply to
Chris Bolus