Cavalier 2.0i 16v (ecotec) cambelt?

Time's approaching for a cambelt change on my 1995 Cavalier. Engine's a

2.0i 16v Ecotec. I've been quoted £195 for replacement of the belt, including the tensioner and all the rollers.

  1. Is this a fair price?

  1. How many bits are there to change? I plan to ask for the old parts to be kept for inspection, so I can be sure they've all been done.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I paid £300 (independent garage; expensive labour but the only mechanic I trust!) but that was including a new water pump - £60 or so plus coolant - so your £195 seems about right. BTW I got the pump changed as a precaution - if the new belt disturbs the pump and it starts leaking, you're looking at getting the whole lot taken apart again. Don't know how many parts there are to the cambelt, a Vx dealer will tell you.

Reply to
PM

Happen to me ! Same car, same engine. New cambelt, a short while later water pump starts leaking. New belt again !!!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

I would change the rollers & tensioner at the same time. Vauxhall do a kit now and it is reasonably priced so get them to use genuine Vauxhall parts.

Water pump at the same time isn't a bad idea.

Reply to
Alan