Ford Escort Emissions

Hey Group,

Just had my 1.4 Escort (CVH) Single Point Injection - 1994, MOT`ed and the CO is at 6.374, and my Hadro Carbons are at 890. As you probably guess this was a fail, mighty anoyed as the car was fine on everything else.

The place I took it to suggested driving in second giving it loads of revs for a while and then returning it. Did this but no change. I`ve just recently done a full service on it. The garage asked it I used cheap oil, but I used Castrol GTX.

I`ve checked the TPS and this seems OK, All the Temp sensors were recently changed aswell (less than a 1000 Miles ago)

Anybody got any Ideas on what this could be?

Many Thanks For any Help Regards MCN

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

Try cleaning the ECU connector, the "multipole" connector near the battery and all the sensor connectors. "switch cleaner" from Maplin does a good job,

The rubber seals on thse connectors often rot allowing water in and causing the ECU to get confused.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Thanks sPoNix,

I've tryed the above but to no avail, the garage actually cleaned them all for me. I was quite supprise as the`ve clean my engine aswell:) mind you did cost me £15 quid for the pleasure:(

Any Other Ideas?

Ta MCN

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

Thermostat. Is it warming up nice n hot according the gauge? Should be at

3-4pm i.e needle horizontal when at full temp.

If it is nicely warm- then coolant temp sensor- check value returned to ECU from this.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

yer gets to about 3 pm, blowers are always nice and warm aswell, temp of the coolant is good aswell. Temp sendors seem to be return ok, i replaced these about 800 miles ago, along with a full service. Dosn`t seem to be using much fuel either im getting about 300 miles to the tank round town:/

Cheers Si

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

Hmm. With a CO of 6% you have to have a sensor fault- the ECU is over fuelling, and its probaly too rich for the o2 sensor to become active- or its too carboned up to work.

i'd check the o2 sensor wiring, power to the heater, pull it out and check its condition, if carboned up- stick it in a propane torch to burn off the carbon. Then see if i could make it switch by introducing a vacuum leak at a fast tickover to make the mixture go lean. Look for a go rich signal (0.2v ish) from the o2 sensor if it is working...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Tim,

Just a quick one:- Someone said the Weber carbs arn`t very good (Very Sceptical to be honest, i thought the Webers were the best of the best) Anyways apparently that could be faulty.

Is this a possibility?

Ta Si

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

No, shoot your "friend". You have single point fuel injection. No carb in sight. If you had the Weber on your car you'd have not be having any problems- they're usually very reliable and fuel efficient instrument, not to mention a better performing, higher MPG car.

The pre 92 carb'd 1.4CVH's were much better than any of the CFi's. [1]

Tim.. [1]- within the constraints of it being a CVH!

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Not on a fuel injected car, it isn't.

Reply to
SteveH

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

We had a 1993 Ford Escort with an HCS engine and an electronic fuel injector in the centre of the carburettor...

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Yes it is. Some Fords are fitted with a CFi (Central Fuel Injector). This sits in the middle of the carburettor and squirts fuel into the intake at appropriate moments as determined by the ECU.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

The body of the CFi unit looks like a carb, and probably started off as a casting for one, but it is NOT a carb. A carb had a float chamber and jets. It is a (single) fuel injector body, or throttle body, or single point fuel injection body.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

That's not a carburettor! It's a single-point injection system.

Reply to
PJML

Sorry I stand corrected, i`ll be shooting my mate later on tonight:/

However could it be that something in the injector is knacked or am i looking in the wrong place totally?

Ta Si

Reply to
MadCrazyNewbie

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (sPoNiX) contains these words:

That's more of a throttle body than a carburettor then, isn't it.

Reply to
Guy King