Charging GEL car batteries.

The message from "Stryker" contains these words:

That's to keep it warm. Helps starting in cold weather by retaining heat from the last time it was used. A heavy lead/acid battery can stay warm overnight if well lagged.

Reply to
Guy King

Seems hard to believe any decent manufacturer like VW would make a battery difficult to change.

I'm also not sure what you mean by the complexity of the wiring. Batteries have two.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is a plastic moulded distribution box covering most of the top of the battery which has 6 or more wires connected plus fuses and devices that I can't identify. All of the wires have to be disconnected to get the battery out to the best of my limited knowledge.

There are pictures at the Brit Skoda site

Stryker

Reply to
Stryker

Of course I don't know the actual model, but by that pic you only have to disconnect the battery terminals and move the top which is a connector block out of the way - anything else would surely be a nonsense?

If you want to find out the correct battery for your model go here. You'll also get the technical spec. A quick glance for the Octavia range shows them all to be conventional wet acid batteries.

It's not uncommon for so called replacement batteries by another maker not to fit mechanically - there's often more to it than just the basic external size and terminal layout.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for the link Dave. Very useful.

Stryker

Reply to
Stryker

Come to that I've not seen a Gel battery that's any good for starting current that isn't prohibitively expensive & bigger than the wet cell or an OPtima Red top.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Yup. It's a fundamental that a gel battery can't produce the same peak current, like for like.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

the battery in my MX5/ roadster (gray import) has a gel battery - In fact it's one of the very few differences between the grays and "legit" imports. It;'s still fine after 5 years of use with me -It was 3 yrs old and flat when I got it - I just got a jump start and drove it 30miles to re-charge and has been fine since I was told that its smaller and lighter than a normal battery so is sportier (allegedly) However get ready for the worst winter for a couple of decades - let's see if it lasts a "COLD" winter - we barely get a frost in winter on the south coast in the last few years so no real test so far I guess So - keep choc/fluids/ warm coat and a full tank of petrol - you are warned !

Reply to
Tim

You were told wrong. ;-)

Reply to