add water to sealed car batteries

I have a sealed battery that is 3 years old. It lost its charge. I pried open the top plate which covers the cells (with a screwdriver) and squirted water into the cells. I then glued back the top plate.

The battery works fine now.

Anybody tried an easier way - like drilling a 1/4" or 3/8" hole into the top plate into each of the cells- filling them with water, then sealing the holes with clay or polyethylene plugs?

Reply to
misterfact

I find it easier to peel them open and close them back up. With those batteries usually one top up in their life will do it unless you alternator has gone nuts and is then boiling them dry.

Those 'maintenance free' batteries are a bad planned obsolescence scam. They lose water just like any other battery, just a little slower.

I got a 'new' Jeep the other day that 'needed' a battery. All it needed was a little water in each cell and a nice slow charge. It now tests out just fine.

Mike

Mike Romain

Time to get up to speed everybody. If you can easily pry the top off, you probably can add distilled water. However, many of the new batteries do not use FREE water inside. They use a gel or a pad. Trying to add water is playing with danger and yourself.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I have one of those spiral cell Optima batteries in one Jeep. There is no free liquid in them but they are still a lead acid battery. When they get a dry cell, they are garbage. No place to pry open either.

Mike

Mike Romain

I don't know about adding water to a maintenance-free battery, but a shade-tree mechanic told me one time when you have the battery out of the car it is a good idea to invert it, and let the "sediment" flow across the plates on their way to the top which is on the bottom momentarily.

Also this type battery has small escape holes under the end's "eaves" and have to be covered while the battery is inverted.

I've never had to add water, but see nothing wrong with it, and especially tapping a hole in the top, using a plastic plug for sealing.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

Lead-acid battery manufacturers add a small cavity at the bottom of the battery beneath the plates. On conventional lead-acid batteries, the lead drops off the plates and falls to the bottom of the battery whenever you charge and discharge your battery. Over the years, this can add up to quite a bit of lead. When you turn a battery upside down, all that lead falls between the plates and has a good potential to short out a cell in your battery. Anyway, the best advice is not to do it.

Reply to
Kruse

My grand mother had something like that, except that it was a glass globe with a country scene inside with a horse drawn sleigh, if you turned it over, it made the inside look like snow was falling.

Wow, the house my grand mother grew up in had escape holes also. (in case of Indian attack)

If [you're] going to the bother of 'tapping" a hole, should he use a threaded plug?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

IOWs, shade-tree doesn't/didn't know any better...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

That would sound like something a battery salesman would tell someone.....

And by the by, a battery needs to be vented. If you drill out the vent and block it you will have issues. Maybe explosive issues when the hydrogen gas builds up and has no place to go....

Mike

Mike Romain

Exactly. A lot of drag or street racers would put the battery in the trunk for a weight transfer advantage. Except instead of one battery, they might put two of them in it. And they might be big ones from a Cat dozer. The back seat would be taken out (to save weight) and a sheet of metal would take it's place, all neatly sealing up the trunk area. Then they would wonder why the trunk lid would blow off. Bottom line: you need to let the gases escape.

Reply to
Kruse

========== ==========

~:~ Marsh ~sips his mushroom tea......reads on~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Advise...........

quit hang'n around them shadetree mechs.

they're gonna git you killed.

"frick'n bumpass's"

~:~ Marsh ~picks up the battery......drops it 2 foot onto the shop floor...... fixed~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

At least one person got it... ;-)

Reply to
aarcuda69062

======== ========

aarcuda69062 wrote:

========== ==========

Some folks carry "speed kills" to an all new meaning. lol

slow

Ever hear of them that don't know....them dudes don't even suspect.

~:~ marsh ~takes a hit off his joint...sips his crownroyal~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Just make sure it's fresh water. Salt in battery may bring up a wrest in tainted cells. This is a well-known current event, even as charged.

Although I realize that my posts, many may diss, still. Water we wading for? My discharge?

;->

Reply to
~^Johnny^~