Cheap people carrier?

For reasons too dull to explain, I want to buy a people carrier capable of carrying three adults and three children (10, 7 and 2) on holiday to the south of France.

Any suggestions or avoids? So far, I'm considering the Espace, Hiace/Townace or possibly a cheap 7 seat 4x4...any thoughts?

Reply to
Clive

The message from "Clive" contains these words:

Renault Savanna. You can pick 'em up for under a thousand for a diesel.

Reply to
Guy King

Opps I should have said...ideally the budget is £500 or less :-)

Reply to
Clive

The message from "Clive" contains these words:

There's an L-reg diesel 7-seater in Loot at the moment for 595.

When you're looking for Savannas, try all the odd spellings that people might have used. You'd think if it's written on the back of the car that the owners might notice it's not a Savannah, for example.

Then again, most Trafic owners would say it's got two effs.

Reply to
Guy King

...supplied by the person behind who had just been cut up. ;-)

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Saul

Hi Clive

Hiace/Townace

Yep!, Avoid children of 10, 7 & 2

Reply to
Steve Sweet

any thoughts?

My thoughts? I don't envy you travelling to the South of France with 6 people in a car costing £500.

Reply to
Doctor D.

The message from "Doctor D." contains these words:

I did it last year without trouble [1] in a £300 Maestro.

[1] Apart from a wheelbearing starting to drone somewhere around Perpignan.
Reply to
Guy King

I take my hat off to you. You have far more of a spirit of adventure than I have.

Reply to
Doctor D.

The message from "Doctor D." contains these words:

Why? I've had old cars for years and they've let me down less often and more fixably than modern cars. There's almost nothing on a Maestro you can't fix with a hammer.

Reply to
Guy King

Doctor D. ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Adrian

Possibly, but I doubt Maestro spares are particularly available in France for those bits which the hammer won't fix. I've seen a few over there, but not great numbers.

When I was younger I used to run older cars all over the place. A £250 Escort, Marinas and an Allegro, and best of all a £250 Talbot Alpine bought with 123,000 miles, and sold with 150,000 miles for £175! In 2 years I replaced the clutch, an engine mount and fitted a carb. from a scrappie. The cheapest car I've ever owned and it never broke down.

I think I'm just after an safer life these days. Mr Cautious rides again! We're going to France on Friday for two weeks and I expect to do about 2000 miles. The choice between going in a Mondeo TDCi with air con, cruise and

50mpg or the Alpine is not a difficult one. I agree with you over which one I'd rather fix by the roadside though!
Reply to
Doctor D.

The message from "Doctor D." contains these words:

A couple of weeks of overseas breakdown insurance isn't much - and if it all goes pearshaped you get a hire car.

Reply to
Guy King

:-o I'd personally avoid any type of people carrier/4x4, but I suppose you need one for 6/7 people. How about renting one, you could get a good one which is pretty new, and it won't be as much as buying one?

Reply to
Peter

True, but it's all hassle you can do without, with children, in a foreign country when on holiday. On the plus side the hire car would probably have air con, although repairing an old RHD car in France may well exceed it's value, and French car hire companies are not very good with the concept of dropping the car at a different place to that where you collected it. (Guess how I know about that one!)

Reply to
Doctor D.

In news:uFbpc.821$%P6.391@newsfe1-win, Clive decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Mercedes 280TE, the W123 shape (up to a C plate), ace cars, capable of starship mileages, and they're worth bugger all. Don't cost much to fix either. a 300TE diseasel one could be had for as little as £500.

Reply to
Pete M

Been there, done that!! Team 210 in the LR LWB :-)) Hence the South of France in a £500 car is going to be a doodle!!

Reply to
Clive

Clive ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Who hasn't?

Indeed. I've also done most of Europe in a £40 Dyane.

Reply to
Adrian

Doctor D. ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Life's a bitch. At the end of the holiday, the AA fly you home, and you buy another shed when you get back.

Somebody Else's Problem. Again, the Euro breakdown insurance covers that.

Reply to
Adrian

:-))))))

IIRC you're also "Mr Citroen"???