Checking clutch

I suspect my clutch is failing. The car in question is a 1.6 16v 2001 golf. Lately I have noticed when I change gear as I bring the clutch pedal up it doesn't quite feel like its grabbing the gear ? if that makes any sense. Also the bite feels higher than it used to. Its working any all but I suspect something is about to fail ?

Are there any simple checks I can do to verify this?

How much would something like this cost to repair, the clutch that is ? (assuming that is the problem)

Thanks

Reply to
Matt

Although I don't fully understand what you are saying, it appears that the clutch is not engaging until the pedal is fully up, and maybe not even then. This is not a situation that should be allowed to continue because there will be slip when you accelerate - particularly in high gears - which will get worse. It's like driving with your foot partly pressing on the pedal.

You need to adjust the linkage (not sure whether there's a cable or what on your car) to allow a little free play (i.e. a bit of slack when you first press the pedal before it starts to operate the system).

If there is no way of getting full clutch engagement and at the same time a little free play, then you need a new clutch driven plate at the very least.

But I may have misunderstood your problem and I don't know what it would cost you (£300 say).

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham