Chipped 130TDI what insurer??

Hi

I would be grateful if any of you guys could help me with this problem. A friend at work has a 2 year old VW Golf GTTDI 130, he wants to fit a chip to uprate the engine from 130 bhp to 168

but he cant find an insurance company that will touch him.He`s 59 years of age with a clean licence. Hope you can help

Tony

Reply to
Tony&Debs

Sounds about right, This is why so many people don't tell the insurance company.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Tried Adrian Flux?

Reply to
Doki

The message from "Tony&Debs" contains these words:

I love the comment next to their "Pop-off" valves -

"Aluminium Pop-Off valves: The Advantages are plausible..."

Reply to
Guy King

Tesco insurance were happy with my old TT with chip, exhaust etc. Can't recommend them though, bunch of thieves once you need to claim but they covered me with a nominal increase to premium and I had points and claims.

Reply to
Rushing7

CIS didnt charge any more for my C5 with a chip

Reply to
Mr Benny

Of course no one will touch hime with a barge pole-its not a standard car,better to keep his gob shut and just enjoy it..carefully of course

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Except there are plenty of people who will insure modified cars, and not declaring the mods could leave him open to a bloody good rogering with a thorny stick at the hands of whoever runs into him, whoever he runs into and his insurance company.

Reply to
Doki

Thats dumb. You will get found out of you sustain a total loss - because they will check the ECU on any large claim. You will them lose the compensation for your own car and risk them claiming back the repairs for the other car from you. Tescos quoted me £90/year extra for my Sharan TDI(110) to boost power to

143BHP. D
Reply to
DCA

Thats dumb. You will get found out of you sustain a total loss - because they will check the ECU on any large claim. You will them lose the compensation for your own car and risk them claiming back the repairs for the other car from you. Tescos quoted me £90/year extra for my Sharan TDI(110) to boost power to

143BHP. D
Reply to
DCA

I didn't say I did it! - I just said it would explain the amount of uninsured/declared 'mods' on the roads...

My diesel Touran is 140bhp stock, and has more than enough power, I see little point in moding the engine.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Trouble is, according to people who produce these chips, the one for the new

2litre diesel makes it nearer 190hp - I have been quoted with 365Lb of torque - That's getting on for the New Golf GTI Turbo....

I would be most grateful if anybody out there has had one of these new

16valve 2litre diesel engines chipped yet, and the result?

I can see why insurance companies are getting scared of these chip 'mods'.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Because you can never have too much power.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yep. The new Ford 2.0 diesel chips to 180 bhp. Can't wait to see what happens when a chiptuner gets hold of the BMW 535D.

I've driven a few turbo cars before and after chiptuning, the difference is huge - I think manufacturers are setting cars up now for fuel quality diversity and smooth progressive power delivery - the Seat Ibiza I tried (1.8T) was stupidly quick with the extra torque from a Revo chip, and as for my mates supra....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

^^^^

*cough* Peugeot *cough* ;-)
Reply to
SteveH

*Cough* GERMAN *cough*
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Tim S Kemp ( snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

ITYF the MZ is, too.

Doesn't stop the TDCi being a rebadged PSA HDi.

Reply to
Adrian

No they don't. They might sometimes, but not as a matter of course.

Reply to
Doki

"Tim S Kemp" wrote in news:cIudndwfUI_sG5ffRVn- snipped-for-privacy@karoo.co.uk:

I disagree, horrible wheel spin and torque steer when pulling away, wheel spin in the wet pulling out in 3rd to overtake. I talk about my friends modified 205 which was awful to drive, too much power, yes it was quick in a straight line but I couldn't see the point in upping the power to so much it's little FWD chassis couldn't cope. 100bhp / ton is about right for FWD IMHO.

Will

Reply to
Will

Will ( snipped-for-privacy@reeve.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Clue : The throttle pedal is not binary.

Reply to
Adrian