Chipped 130TDI what insurer??

Adrian wrote in news:Xns95F9615903CE8adrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4:

What's the point in having the power if you can never use it safely. The owner himself admitted he was a bit apprehensive when 'flooring it' in case the car lost traction! Wouldn't it be better to keep power under the threshold the chassis can cope with?

Will

Reply to
Will

Will ( snipped-for-privacy@reeve.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You can. Just not ALL of it ALL the time.

Another ham-footed muppet, then.

Wouldn't it be better to learn to drive?

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian wrote in news:Xns95F9649EF7541adrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4:

He can drive, he's not crashed it! It's just I don't believe he enjoys the car as much as he would if it didn't overpower the chassis so much. Yes it's fast, but having the steering wheel wobble and twitch when applying lots of power is IMHO not very satisfying, same with going around corners, better not use the bottom half of the peddle travel otherwise you end up in a ditch! So you turn a nice balanced car with progressive power delivery over the whole range of the throttle peddle, sharp precise steering, a car you can ultimately really enjoy driving into a car which you can only use half the throttle peddle travel 99% of the time, and you get out of it at the end of a journey not feeling satisfied. The power makes it stressful to drive, and less fun than it was with half the power. I think you need smooth power with stress free handling/comfort within the range the chassis was designed for. A car which flatters the driver if you like. My opinion is "you CAN have too much power" :-)

Keep well,

Will

Reply to
Will

Will ( snipped-for-privacy@reeve.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh, ffs...

No, he doesn't enjoy the car as much as he would if he had a clue how to drive it properly.

Right. And the problem with that is...? As I said, it's not binary. You don't HAVE to mash the pedal *all* the time.

Use as much as you can at all the times - sometimes that won't be all of it, other times it will be. Why restrict what's available on a straight dry overtake just because the driver's too incompetent to realise that you don't have to bend the floor when exiting a damp T-junction?

I think you mean "which hides the driver's inadequacies"

For the driver, yes. Easily.

For some people, this is too powerful :-

Adrian

I think the problem here is that we started off talking about chipping people carriers and family cars, these are not meant to slide round corners or do 0-60 in 3 seconds, my wife and kids travel in it for gods sake.

On the other hand, you want to be able to keep up with modern traffic and pull onto a motorway and know you will be doing a reasonable speed etc...

Some of you seem to be talking about fiesta turbo's and racing type cars.... - I agree, these can not have enough power, although, there is a recommended limit of around 130bhp per tone for modern front wheel drive cars or thereabouts isn't there?

I think something like a Volvo T5R, Mitsubishi Evo, ScoobyDoo, Focus RS etc... and cars with 4wd are designed to handle the power output, these cars are suitable for lots more power...

One interesting fact, the new VW Touran stops from 70-0 faster than the Mk4 Golf GTI - Therefore the brakes will not need upgrading, it also has as standard ESP, Emergency Brake Assist, Traction Control, and ten airbags, it may not look like you get a lot for your money at first, but it's very well specced mechanically.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Nik&Andy ( snipped-for-privacy@adenleyremovethis.f.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So why chip it?

And you don't think that 130bhp and 240lb/ft out-the-box will do that?

The Touran may be positively McDonalds in it's obesity at damn near a ton and three quarters, but that's still a decent amount of real-world welly...

If you're needing anything approaching that to merge onto the motorway, you may like to try looking to your right a little bit earlier on the slip road.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian

I was not the one that wanted to chip my car, I was the one that said I didn't see the point.... Did you get a bad nights sleep or something?

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

That is just about the dumbest idea I have ever heard of - both regarding the technical aspects (will drastically shorten the life of the engine if it works at all) and the legal aspects (fraud).

Reply to
Papa

Nik&Andy ( snipped-for-privacy@adenleyremovethis.f.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

My apologies. I misread it as you being the OP defending the chippage on the basis that it was a Touran not a chavmobile.

No, very pleasant, thank you.

Reply to
Adrian

You're not alone Andy. My normal drive has just 54hp DIN for its ton, but if I really want to fly I can get my hands on 180hp fairly easily. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Hall

Chavmobile - LOL......

For anybody wanting it, I can put the universal Excel CHAV test on my FTP site it gives you a percentage score of how 'Chav' you are, if you don't already have it. It went round work as an E-mail attachment, what a way to kill the E-mail servers!

Andy

---------> No worries, I thought that might be the case.

----------> I did, I have a three year old insomniac boy, and a two month old boy who sleeps with us... It's hell.

Reply to
Nik&Andy

The key is to using the available power - feeding it in gently, making big overtakes effortless etc. I've driven front drivers over 200bhp/tonne and it's manageable.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The message from Will contains these words:

He'll probably claim any moment now that it allows him to accelerate out of trouble.

Of course, I'm quite unfairly tarring him with the same brush as load of bad drivers - which he might well not be. However, it's worth noting that the more powerful a car the more it costs to insure.

Reply to
Guy King

All that means is that the Touran's suspension setup is better at braking than the Golf GTi's. It's fade through repeated hard use that makes brake upgrades neccesary.

Reply to
Doki

I may not have a "clue", but at least I have some manners - and I learned a long time ago to NOT use my real address in NG forums. So who is it who doesn't have a clue, sunny?

Plonk!!

Reply to
Papa

Papa ( snipped-for-privacy@my.fun) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Shame you don't have a clue about leaving any context in, so we know what the f*ck you're talking about without having to go hunting.

Nor do you have a clue about the effectiveness of gMail's spam filters.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "Doki" contains these words:

It's fade through repeated hard use that makes learning how not to drive on the brakes neccessary!

Reply to
Guy King

Most people after more power are trying to go faster. People trying to go quickly tend to be harder on the brakes. I'm not sure what you mean by driving on the brakes to be honest. Riding the brake, not bothering with engine braking or braking hard into corners?

Reply to
Doki

The message from "Doki" contains these words:

The latter - chasing everywhere and having to brake late. It's sloppy driving, mostly caused by thinking it gets you there significantly faster - which it generally doesn't. Someone with their head on their shoulders and plenty of experience can usually slip through traffic just as quickly but without the fuss.

Reply to
Guy King

I completely agree with the above, however, again I think some people are talking 'race-track' and the rest of use are talking about driving normally on the public roads, that our children cross etc....

If you leave braking until the last min, with no error margin, what do you do if somebody steps out or something?

And there should definitely be no need to brake like this on the motorway.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy