citroen saxo diesel gear change

Hi Just been given a saxo 1999 diesel and drives well - high mileage 120k The gearbox is like stirring rice pud - plenty of play and you have to push the gear stick hard into gear. Feels rubbery. Once in gear the car drives really well, have got used to driving it and can change up and down quickly ok now but the problem is still there. Any ideas as I dont know the saxo. thanks

Reply to
gm4jnw

Don't know about the Saxo specifically, but some cars have a sort of bearing , sometimes made of plastic, which wears away. The gearstick slots into it, so if it is worn it will feel sloopy. Or maybe the linkages are worn and/or need adjusting.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

I remember seeing mentions of a nylon part in the gear linkage of the AX that tends to wear. The 106, AX and Saxo are all pretty closely related.

Reply to
Doki