MOT failure excessive co emissions

Toyota Avensis Estate 1.8 vvti 2002 108, 000 miles readings as follows :-

1st fast idle test Engine speed 2435 rpm CO level 0.45 % ( max 0.30 ) fail HC level 137 ppm pass Lambda 1.009 pass

2ndidle test Engine speed 2605 rpm CO level 1.35 % fail HC level 153ppm pass Lambda 0.958 fail ?

Nat Idle test CO level 0.62 % ( 0.50 max ) fail

The car is running well tho I only do short runs and unfortunately didn't warm engine up well before having test . Uses a bit of oil - about 1500 miles per litre but apparently this is normal for 2002 vvti engine ! Has recently had oil change + new filter etc. Garage has suggested putting in some sort of additive to clean cat converter + exhaust and taking for a good burn up - then re testing

Any observations / help most appreciated thanks

Reply to
andy

Driving it flat out for a bit won't make it any worse.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Jump in car, go to motorists shop and get a bottle of Redex or Wynns then shove the whole lot in the tank. Next find a nice bit of empty road and rag the bollocks off it for 20-30 miles.

Reply to
Conor

Same advice as Conors. Injection cleaner and an italian tune-up. My car failed for a high CO2 a few of weeks ago, except the reading on mine was 0.93%!. Took my own advice. Redlined it in all the lower gears for a few miles, and it passed on the retest. Mike.

Reply to
Miike G

Find a nice big hill or three and take your foot off the throttle pedal with the car in gear on the way down so the ECU turns off the injectors and chucks loads of lovely fresh air through the cat when it's good and hot.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Definately not hot enough, and coked up from short runs.

Run down the motorway and a nice long hill in 3rd / 4th at over 4000rpm for abit will sort it.

A litre of ATF is better and alot cheaper than Snake-oil injector cleaner et al....

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Neevr used it in petrol engines.. How does it get on with the various sensors?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Thanks for all the input guys ........... I will try out what you say . It seems strange as on last MOT ( 7000 ) miles ago zero CO emissions ! I do mainly short runs and I did not use the car yesterday - took car half mile down road this am to garage so hardly warm etc. I could kick myself for not doing a burn up first ............ but it was Monday morning :-( Not sure what the stuff is the garage is trying to push but I guess its worth a try !

Cheers

Reply to
andy

The garage should have made sure the vehicle was fully hot before the test. I would almost be willing to put a bet on that if the car was fully warmed up ( at least ten miles of normal driving ) then it would go through with nothing else done.

I get at least fifty vehicles a year tested, many of them are little old lady 2000 mile a year cars, they all go through , but they are all tested when fully hot.

The last car that I can remember that failed on emissions had no monolith left in the cat (mk5 escort 2 years ago)

Even problematic cars like old hcs efi fiestas, the ferrari, my ancient transit, my ancient camper etc. etc

Reply to
Mrcheerful

When I took a Carina (close relation) in for MOT a few years back, my MOT tester was careful to rev it hard for long enough to get it up to temperature. He explained that the cats on those cars don't get hot enough on short runs to get to full efficiency. Get it really hot for before the test and you should be fine.

Reply to
asahartz

Last time I took my car in for an MOT close to home they ran the engine at a fast idle for ages until they got a satisfactory oil temperature reading before doing the emissions test. If they really did test it after it had only run 1/2 mile, things weren't up to temperature.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Result :-) Did what you all advised and sailed through second emissions test ! I think the tester felt a little guilty not warming up enough etc ........... but we will both know now for next time eh

Thanks once again

Reply to
andy