Cleaning brake components ??

Whats the best fluid for cleaning brake components (not friction matl) ie from leaking cylinders.

Petrol, Gunk, Parafin or nothing but elbow grease.

Reply to
mouldy man

Brake cleaner would be my weapon of choice,

Available from Halfords etc in aerosol tins.

Good stuff as when the crap is washed off, the brake cleaner will evaporate, leaving everything all nice and dry.

Regards Slim.

Reply to
martin.taz

I use can's of brake cleaner spray from Halfrauds.

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Any of those. Doesn't really matter. You could add cellulose thinners to the list. As long as you make sure it's all the cleaning fluid is removed before re-assembly. It's not a bad idea after they're clean to give them a final wash and wipe with brake fluid, just to make sure no residues remain. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Best stuff for cleaning brakes is, believe it or not, brake cleaner.

Reply to
SimonJ

I wouldn't be very keen on getting stuff like that near brake components. They do the rubbers in if there is any residue. Better use meths or brake cleaner.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

This interesting article is from California (where else!): "Brake Cleaning in Auto Repair Facilities: The Conversion to Water"

"Project Results" (1/5 down the page):"The results of the EJP2 project on brake cleaning should support theproposed CARB regulation. The project showed clearly that solvent aerosolbrake cleaners, including PERC aerosol cleaners, are not necessary for brakecleaning. The water-based systems are effective and they are lower cost thanthe aerosol brake cleaners. In many cases, it is not necessary to cleanbrakes at all."

Reply to
Lin Chung

Assuming that you've got a pumped brake cleaning kit & access to enzyme brake cleaner solution.

Reply to
Duncanwood