Espace problems

Got a Renault Espace and up to now no major problems. But its been a sod to get into reverse. Now its a case of turning off the engine, selecting reverse and then turning back on. Funy thing is that if he car is facing downhill, reverse is a lot easier to select. Other than that its near impossible to get it in gear withour a lot of force and a lot of noise.

Anyone have a clue whats the matter. Clutch isnt slipping albeit I dont know what kind of clutch it is chain or other.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Ps The idle is a little high if that makes a difference

Reply to
Simon

Very likely a simple matter of the clutch needing adjustment (not fully disengaging). If it's cable operated, tighten the adjusting nut a turn or two.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Any idea if it is cable operated? its an M reg Espace helios. 2068cc turbo Diesel

Reply to
Simon

Agree with this- we had an Espace for many years an this was an adjustment needed a few times.

Cable and adjustment is easy. You need a couple of open ended spanners (17mm from memory but check before buying specially).

The adjustment is fairly accessible under the bonnet. If you can't see it straight off, get someone to press the clutch and watch for the movement.

Near where the clutch cable joins to the operating lever (not the pedal!) you will see a threaded section on the outer cable with two large nuts, loosen off the one furthest from the end of the cable, adjust the other one until the operation is smooth (only a few turns), then tighten the other nut to lock it. (You need the two spanners to stop the nuts from both turning).

I don't recall the recommended method of getting the ajustment spot on (usually something specified by the resting pedal position etc) but if you just adjust it for easy operation and no more you should be OK.

--

73 Brian
Brian Reay

this does sound like clutch drag adjusting the cable may only be a temporarilly fix you say its M reg and i'm guessing high mileage it may end up needing a new cluch.

Reply to
ford_technical_

Ever thought to check the gearbox oil level?

Reply to
Conor

Any idea how I do that on the car? Its just been for a service but I imagine they wont touch that. Cheers Conor

Reply to
Simon

I've a recollection that there is a level plug on the side of the gearbox. You remove it an ensure there is a dribble of oil from it, with the car on the level. Or, in practice, stuff a little finger in and check the oil is up to the hole.

You can get a Haynes manual for this car. Loathe though I am to recommend Haynes manuals, it does have this sort of basic thing in it. Also, if you do your own servicing and are in the habit of a quick trip to France to stock up on wine etc, do the same for oil and air filters.

--

73 Brian
Brian Reay

How old is the car? I once had an '86 Espace with a very similar problem engaging 1st or reverse. Adjusting the clutch cable gave temporary relief, but the problem turned out to be caused by the root of the small lever at the top of the clutch pedal slowly cracking, causing the lever to bend and reducing its travel. The replacement pedal had a beefed-up design. Worth checking.

Peter

Reply to
Peter