Clickerty Click noise with Battery Charge Light.

Hi People

My car Corsa 98' old shape, has a none to water tight connection somewhere around the alternator (I guess) that when the car is typically cold and its perhaps raining heavily/I go through a puddle the Battery symbol illuminates momentarily, for a few seconds, less time if engine is revved slightly.

Im working my way around the wiring sealing everything in sight...I'll get there with it.

But what is making me wonder is that there is a clicking (relay sort of click) coming form the relay/fuse box.... is the Battery light operated by a relay or is this something else?

Many Thanks

Tom Burton

Reply to
Tom Burton

there is a relay, by your right foot iirc, however this is probably not your problem, my guess is that the drive belt is either worn out or too slack, when rainwater gets on the belt, it slips, the alternator stops charging and the light comes on correctly, as it does so, you hear the relay click. it then clicks again as the alternator starts to charge again etc.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Or the alternator is on it's way out.

BTW I wouldn't be sealing up the wiring. Far better to have the wiring open so that if it does get covered in water, the water can get back out. If you attempt to seal it up, chances are water will still get back in, where it will stay and rot the wiring.

***
Reply to
M Cuthill

Cheers...

The belt is good, I think it is going to be the link cable that has been brutally butchered at some point by some one branching into it an extending it, possibly relating to a butchering of the vacuum exhauster pipeworkery...

I was going to rewire it today but my supply of chunky cable was used up elsewhere.

I was more curious as to what the relay was clickering around at/for.

Thanks again

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Fair point...

I am currently presented with a butchered up splice of piggyback spade connectors and cable ties.... - urghhh!

What i have decided to do is renew the length of wire from the alternator back to a safe dry convenient place.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Sounds like the alternators on the way out. The relay is for the rear heated screen. Switched on by D+ on alternator.

John

Reply to
John