CLK55 asthmatic and underwhelming

2001 car, recently serviced. Normally, putting my foot down at say 60MPH, results in a massive surge of acceleration, with a hearty shove in the back. Yesterday I went to pick someone up from the airport, and when I kickdown at such speed, it is noticeably less powerful, and stranger still, it revs up to the red line, but then doesn't change up to the next gear.

What can I look at here? There are no warnings on the dash.

Reply to
TD

Basically, nothing. It will need a laptop linked up to ask the myriad of computers what they think the fault is. My guess from your description is some sort of error with traction control.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

A rather large bill from Mr Mercedes I suspect.

Reply to
Alan Smith

You think you're funny but you're just a f****it.

Reply to
TD

Well a copy of CarSoft is the 1st place to go. Obviously you'll want to buy it & not dwonlaod a cracked copy:-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

TD gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Mebbe. But he's almost certainly a _correct_ unfunny f****it.

Reply to
Adrian

No I disagree, I think you will find I am being realistic, you have a very beautiful car, which I can only dream about owning. However if I could I would resign myself to the fact Herr Mercedes has me over the barrel with a handful of Vaseline when anything goes wrong.

Reply to
Alan Smith

Do you know which interface I need for a W208 CLK55? When I bought one for my Beemer it was quite straightforward, but with the Merc there's confusing talk about multiplexers etc.

Reply to
TD

I think any of the recent ones will talk to the engine, but if you're going to play or achieve anything usefull you want the multiplexer version.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Does it use the GM box and how many miles has it done. The GM gearbox is 'sealed for life' but the oil only lasts about 100,000 miles and then should be replaced.

On the four speed version there are two oil sumps, a large one at the back and a smaller one in front of that but behind the bell housing with the torque converter. With the six speed version I think the rear one is just longer to allow for the extra brake bands. There is an oil filter screwed to the bottom of the gearbox inside the large sump. It does get clogged and either a clean or replacement will sort it.

There was a thread on

showing how to changethe oil and clean the filter, and one showing bits of thrust washer inthe sump, but unfortunately I can't find them at the moment. A lot ofproblems are fixed by and oil change and filter clean/change. Many ofthese don't show up as faults and I would have though a fault lightwould be on if it had detected one. They use a plastic thrust washer which tends to break up and you will often find bits in the bottom of the front sump. The URL below shows how to replace this.

The last image there shows the front sump area with the sump removed, above it is where the large sump goes.

Reply to
rp

I have a bit of an update on the situation.

I don't fancy shelling out £120 for a multiplexing Carsoft interface that I might only use once. I'm trying to get a diagnostic gratis from Merc, on the basis that the car was fine before they took it in for bodywork repairs. I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, just in case, but no joy. I'm waiting to hear back.

If they tell me to f*ck off, I might buy a unit, as they want to charge an hour's labour (over £100!) for doing the diagnostic. This is ridiculous - how long does it take to plug in a poxy cable and press a button? Does anyone have a multiplexing Carsoft interface lying around that I could use for beer tokens?

Alternatively, will a diagnostic from a non-Merc Bosch shop like

give as good data?

Reply to
TD