Clutch

What sort of price would i be looking at for a new clutch fitted on a ford mondeo L-reg 1.8petrol.

Many Thanks

Si

Reply to
simon

Lots. Big job. Buy another with a good clutch.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

and only 80thou on her,tried talking her round but no got to be done,just wanted to get over the shock before i ring around.

Si

Reply to
simon

transverse.

My 77 Celica needs one, although done 700 miles in the past few weeks with a slipping clutch

guy at my garage says 3 hours, so £75

i dont belive a festa is a nightmare job unlike a clio.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

simon ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

More than it's worth.

Reply to
Adrian

An L reg Mondeo is worth £500 tops. I bought a good one with 80k on the clock for £300 (not mint, but good nick). A clutch costs £500 if you want it done right. And if you don't get it done properly (ie, aligned with Ford's special clobber), the car will never drive right again. The front subframe has to be dropped and all the suspension is hung off it.

Reply to
Doki

£250 ish
Reply to
George Spigot

The message from "Doki" contains these words:

However - at least you'll have a Mondeo with a known good clutch at the end of it.

Reply to
Guy King

Kinell. So it's a throwaway car once the clutch has gone?

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

Sometimes, yes. It's not an easy clutch to do yourself, either. I s'pose you could do it yourself then get Ford to align the wotnots.

Reply to
Guy King

Where?

the job is 500 quid at a proper place, even the cowboys charge 350

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It should be around £400. If its alot less then be worried. The car will come back with steering problems and all sorts of other nasty's looming. You cannot cut corners with one of these..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Yep, true. Then it's time to address the root cause of why the clutch became knackered in the first place :-)

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

Wot - learn mechanical sympathy? I'm not sure it's easy to teach.

Reply to
Guy King

Isn't it just a case of inserting the alignment pins into the holes when bolting the subframe back up though? That's all my mate does (mechanic for 30+ years) and he's not had one come back with steering problems yet...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

The alignment pins aren't that expensive either :-

If your independent garage didn't have a set, it would be worth buying a set and lending them to the garage. You could flog them on ebay later and get most of your money back.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The message from Lee contains these words:

And Maccess sell the alignment pins (two pins with a bit of steel cable between 'em) for about £15, IIRC.

Reply to
Guy King

Less than £250 at N@tionwide autocentre I was told

Reply to