DIY Aircon work

I had my Mondeo re-gassed about six weeks ago. It was great for a week or so but it didn't last. I discovered that the condenser was leaking. The place that did the re-gas quoted £475 for the work of replacing the condenser and re-gassing it again.

Now I can buy a new condenser for £90 and a re-gas will cost £75 which is a lot cheaper than the quote I got. The question is, can I drain down the gas myself before fitting the new condenser? I know it sounds callous but I'm not worried about the environmental impact because the alternative would be to leave it and all the gas would leak out anyway.

Is the stuff under high pressure and if so what precautions should I take? Any other tips?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

If the last re-gas lost effectiveness after a week, I would expect your system is pretty much empty by now (what's left can only be at atmospheric pressure), from that rate of loss. Strictly speaking, you should have it evacuated. Otoh, you could take a guess at how much you have already lost and consider whether what's left is a big deal in comparison.

The refilling instructions for my car go into great detail about how much oil should be added, depending on which components have been replaced. You will need to make sure that when it is eventually re-gassed, all that is taken into account. You need someone trustworthy and diligent, iow.

Reply to
John Laird

At normal temperatures on a properly gassed system, the pressure is aprox.

5bar.

Chances are, if the condensor has been leaking, then there'll be very little, if any gas left in the system.

If you want to let the gas out yourself, unscrew the air con service point cover, then using a suitable tool, depress the valve core (they're identical to the ones used in tyre valves). You really want to be wearing eye protection and a nice pair of rubber gloves while doing this. If any of the gas gets onto your skin, it can cause frost bite as it boils off.

When replacing the condensor, it always wise to renew any seals (which should be covered with a little bit of oil from the aircon system when being installed).

Apart from that, make sure you tell whoever is doing the regas, that you've changed the condensor, as they should add a small amount of oil to allow for what would of been inside it (they should have a table with recommended amounts of oil to be added when components are replaced).

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Think you'll probably have to change the drier as well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can see where you are coming from but it'd be illegal to knowingly release the gas. (In other words don't let anyone know what you are proposing...)

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Firstly, thanks to everyone who replied.

Dave, I presume you mean the dehydrator? The company who gave me the £475 quote mentioned this. Why does it need changing?

cheers,

Reply to
Paul Giverin

As soon as the system is opened damp enters the system, the drier has a finite life, it has already absorbed some damp, an opening will finish it, it is usual practice to replace when ever the system is opened up.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In message , mrcheerful . writes

Ah, that explains it. Thanks.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

When both my Senator and V70 had major a/c problems the drier was replaced. It was explained to me that it stopped the moisture in the system (that the now useless drier couldn't remove) converting into little bits of ice and then going through the compressor.

Reply to
shaun