Coil - OEM or pattern?

My newly acquired '03 1.6 Focus has a misfire. I've replaced plugs and leads, and it's 95% better.

The old plugs were very much past their replacement mileage, so it's likely that the HT coil has been damaged. (Common Ford scenario.)

I've always been an advocate of original parts, *but* an OEM coil from Fordpartsuk is 77.32UKP + VAT. (This is a 25% discount on the full retail price of 103.09UKP + VAT.)

A local factors is offering a pattern one (Intermotor) for 31.40UKP + VAT.

Any opinions as to which one I should get?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

My local ford dealer offers both , when i needed new antirolls for my focus they wanted £30 plus each for oem or £6.00 for pattern looking at them they were identical and from the same manufacturer !!

Reply to
steve robinson

OEM every time, I wouldn't buy the cheap stuff, it never lasts and the quality isn't as good. Pattern = cheaper materials, less wear and less life! It's a false economy, like cheap tyres. You pay less but change them far more.

Reply to
Roger

I bought a pattern coil pack from GSF for about £25 its been in the car and its now done about 40k with it happily.

Although like you if I can I will get OEM just for security its top notch and will last but I've started thinking more financially than quality ... and tried to balance the two with a good quality pattern. Often at places like GSF or euro carp parts theres a cheap as hell crap middle rangle - decent quality and a top shelf one. I always go middle and have done alright.

I'd say give it a go. As thats a big saving.

Reply to
Peter smith

Ordinarily I would agree 100%. Ford coil packs are a known weak point however; I'm thinking that a third-party one won't be any worse?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

With something like a coil pack, which if dubious / faulty can do £hundreds damage to the ECU, I would strongly suggest you go with the OEM.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks Tim. I value your opinion based on all the help you've given here, and in a.a.f.f. in the past; OEM one duly ordered.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Genuine or OEM

Can you get a Bosch/Whoever OEMS it for them one?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Not just Ford though.... Like DMFs :-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram
[...]

It doesn't seem so. The only non-OEM ones with a name on that I can find are branded Intermotor. There are lots on eBay with no branding.

I've decided to go with a genuine Ford one; I'm planning to keep the car for a while, so perhaps that makes sense.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Good choice.