Comments invited: Rover 214SEi 1995 (old shape) engine alternatives?

The 2 litre engine found in, e.g. a 1993 420 sli - is that a K or an M series? I was thinking of trying for a smashed up one, with intact-engine and keys.. running if possible. A few salvage yards round the place have cheap rovers that have been rear-ended etc..

I love wiring :sick: - heh, actually, it's no that bad.. Ive had a passing interest in electrics for a long time, and i listened in a couple of physicas lessons.. Wiring diagram would help, of course.. I wonder if the immobiliser appears on a haynes schematic?

Reply to
Sum Ting Wong

is that the engine's fault (i.e. bang) or the turbo's fault (i.e. bang, and shards of impeller wrapped around my inlet valves) I was thinking diesel turbos might be more suited, since they dont blow so hard..

Reply to
Sum Ting Wong

"klf" wrote in message news:...

Because it's funny! I've blown imprezzas through corners, and I was driving a 2.3 NA diesel sierra.. There's a few people in my crew, and we arent young (i'm an old 24, steve's 40 something) and we all drive diesels usually - i have a 1.8 td mondeo, he has a NA diesel sprinter, and we love hassling wannabes because there are just so many of them in our home town. You do correctly note that they can only drive in a straight line, and sometimes not even then.. But occasionally we come up against someone who has a bit more of a motor, M3 beemer or something, and we could just do with something witha bit more poke on the straights, so that we are still with them through the corners (cant do much hassling even if they cant drive round a bend, if they've blown us on the straight).. Plus the 214 is a very unassuming, boring looking car. I wouldnt be putting a loud exhaust or induction kit on it.. it would look as standard as possible, and as grandad as possible, for best effect.

Oh i totally agree with you, especially the bit about danger to other road users - one night, i was buzzing home in my other diesel (pug

205, 1.8 non turbo) and ended up having a bit of do at a yaris vvti.. Guy had probably never flogged it in its life, judging by the way he took the first corner (way out of line) and the shit that came flying out the exhaust on the next straight.. He disappeared off (new yaris seems a bit faster on the straights than a 1985 pug, it would appear) and tucked in behind a car that was proceeding at a sensible speed.. I kept it buzzing, and moved out for an overtake long time before i reached these two.. Last minute (and to be honest i fully expected this, just watching by the way he was twitching), he flicks out for an overtake, giving me fractions of a second more than i needed to slow down in time. I did consider using the back end of his car to slow down (it was that close), but there were a multitude of reasons why this was not a good idea. At this point his antics appeared to have considerably upset the girl he was travelling with, because she starting beating the shit out of him. I'm sure he drove more sensibly for the rest of the way home, not that i ever found out, because about 3 seconds later i was past him and gone.. I'd sooner have someone like that behind me right from the start though, because as you so correctly note, they are a danger to more than just theirselves.. Perhaps, had i not been there, he wouldnt have tried it on.. But then again, he made some stupid decisions and couldnt drive that well, so the fault probably lies somewhere in between :)

Oh yes.. i totally agree; I'd love a Peugeot 406 2.2SRI, but the next thing that's due for replacement is my Suzuki GSX750, so i might have to wait, and stick with the mondeo for a while

It's not really about blowing the boy racers though; that's a side effect. The main reason is the personal challenge, and getting out of the office and away from the computer programming job that I currently do - theres always soemthing i can learn about mechanical things and it gives my brain a good chance to cool down.. Laughing at the little boys, as I show them the way in a car that cost a fraction of what theirs did, looks less thrown-together, and is quieter and smoother (ladies are generally more approving of this), is the side effect ;)

Plus, this car is for common use - it's red, so maybe i'll repeat the process with a blue and a white one, then find another couple of drivers (mate plus my brother probably) to use them italian job style.. :)

Totally agree; couldnt agree more infact.. Hope you understand my sentiments with this idle project of mine :)

Reply to
Sum Ting Wong

Sum Ting Wong ( snipped-for-privacy@aber.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They blow just as hard.

It'd be down to the fact that the engine would not have a compression ratio suitable to any appreciable boost, and wouldn't have the strengthened innards found in any turbo motor.

You'd also have to completely rework (ie replace) the engine management to cope with different fueling requirements.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Mine does 14psi apparently.

Reply to
Guy King

In news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk, Guy King decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Heh, my Cossie used to peak at 35psi, then stay solid at around 29....

Reply to
Pete M