Constantly cooling 214 Si

Hi

Hope someone can help me.

The Rover 214 Si P reg that I look after has its cooling fan on constantly.

After start up the fan is off for 30 seconds or so but then comes on and stays on.

There are two sensors in the cooling system one with two wires and another with one wire. If one of these is at fault which is it likely to be.

Is there anything else which could cause a problem like this?

It also has a pretty lumpy start from absolute cold quite often likely to be related do you think?

Cheers

Phil

Reply to
Phil Cousins

find the fan switch (two wires, usually in the radiator) and replace, assuming that it is not actually overheating.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

You got aircon/climate?

If so, aircon turned on will (normally) force the cooling fans to turn on.

HTH

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I had an '89 216 and a '93 400 and they had a tendency to blow the radiator sensor. The two wire one is the bunny you want to replace.

Make sure it clicks in properly when it goes in since the death of the '89 engine was due to a garage replacement of the sensor that fell out on the M1 in the outside lane at full speed. Whatever sensor reports back to the temperature guage in those engines doesn't react as quickly as the cooking of the coolant free engine at 70ish.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick