Corroded discs?

Took my car in for a MOT the other day and although it passed I was given an advisory note saying the discs are badly corroded (the front ones more so than the rear ones). This is on a seven year old car which I've owned from new. The garage that did the MOT offered to replace all of the discs and pads for around £450 which I guess is no surprise. I've uploaded some pictures here (sorry about the quality but it was the best I could do without taking the wheels off):

I can see some slight pitting and scoring and there's probably some slight surface rust in places, but are the discs in such a bad state that they require replacing. I'm taking it to another garage on Monday for a second opinion but was wondering what others here think?

Reply to
Jeff Allen

Can't see any mention of corrosion in the manual, only:

h. a brake disc or drum insecure, cracked or excessively scored, pitted or worn

Have a look here:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It was only an advisory, bearing in mind the MOT is the minimum standard & that is a low standard, I've passed worse then that ! My advise to customers is wait until the next brake pad change & then replace pads & discs.

Reply to
reg

I can't pass comment on the face of the disks. They look as if the car has had longish periods not moving, or you may not do enough miles or you break very gently ...waffle can go on.

There is one tell tale sign that you will soon need new pads, on the first image (and on the other two) you posted it seems as if the outer lip of the disks is touching the metal backing of the pads. You can't have much pad left.

The key is if the disks are thinner than the manufacturer's spec. As another post suggested, as soon as you need pads get disks too.

If it helps a little. Charles

Reply to
Charles C

What's the car? Someone here will tell you whether that £450 is reasonable or not.

Reply to
DB.