Rear cross member corroded - MOT fail?

I am guessing the answer is yes but it currently has a checker plate panel covering it so the 2 holes in it are not really visible unless it's removed or prised back a bit. Will it go through an MOT like this?

Obviously I need to get it replaced ASAP but can't afford to do so before next week's MOT and I use the car daily so can't have it off the road for a month or so if it failed.

Also, can they be patched if the hole is large? The worst one is the shape of the adjoining main chassis leg and the hole is a neat rectangle following the contours of this.

Reply to
Andy Cooke

Oh yes, it wil fail.

The crossmember is around £150 & i was quoted £250-£300 to sort it.

Reply to
Nige

Even if covered with the checker plate? Will the MOT guy remove the plate to look at it??

Reply to
Andy Cooke

No, but he will be able to see behind it, i can have a loook if you want, most can be easily patched

Reply to
Nige

Give me a bell when you get a minute please :-)

Reply to
Andy Cooke

I got the 110 patched last MOT. They were small holes mind... its only delaying the inevitable but with the Pace you "test" different 4x4s then I'd suggest patching. ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I've been told that TD5 and later are more difficult to replace and so the labour is quite a bit more. Is this true?

Reply to
hugh

I honestly dont know, but Andy just needs two patches, NEVER put chequerplate on the rear xmember.

Reply to
Nige

Indeed.. May as well rub salt in daily. I'm always suspicious as to why they are fitted when I see them.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Oh hell aye...