Corsa 1.0 12v Oil leak, now with Pictures

Basically I have now dropped the oil and refilled it and found the following leaks when the car is running. There are drips coming from some kind of sensor shown from above and below in two of the pictures. Secondly there are drips coming from a small square cut-out which is on the mating surface between the engine and gear-box.

Any ideas what the sensor is and also what could be causing the drips from the square cut-out.

Thanks

Reply to
Kirky

DSC00232 - rear crankshaft oil seal.

DSC00233/229 - oil pressure switch? Certainly looks like one. When they fail, sometimes they leak.

Reply to
Conor

I thought it might be the oil pressure switch.

As for the rear crankshaft seal, is this a big job? Im guessing the gearbox has to come off? Could overfilling the oil as mentioned in my other post have caused this? How much are the new seals?

Thanks

Reply to
Kirky

Actually replacing the crankshaft seal is a 30 second task. Getting to it however is another issue. Starter motor, gearbox, clutch and flywheel all have to come off to get to it.

Overfilling doesn't cause it. It's purely wear. Basically you've got a bit of plastic with metal constantly being rubbed against it at high speed.

Cost for the seal? With all such things that take an age stripping down bits to get at, pennies. Might be worth looking at the clutch and doing that at the same time if it's low as you've already got it in bits and a 3 piece clutch kit is around £70-£100 from motor factors.

Reply to
Conor

Correct on both accounts. Oil pressure switch leaking is a common issue on these, and I've seen a couple with leaking rear crank seals.

Reply to
moray

I assume that driving it for a couple of weeks isnt going to damage anything(apart from covering my drive with oil).

Thanks

Reply to
Kirky

the pressure switch may fall apart and dump all the oil

Reply to
MrCheerful