Please help. So frustrated with this...

I am so frustrated. I have a 1990 mustang with factory air.Last year, I att empted to retrofit the car. However, the receiver drier I purchased would n ot attach to the compressor manifold/blocks. Inside the low pressure block was some sort of clip or something that kept the hose that is part of the r eceiver/dryer from going all the way in. I tried to pry it out and basicall y ruined the block. This year I attempted to do this again and paid 80 buck s for a used compressor off of ebay just to get the blocks because I could not fin them anywhere. And those have this clip or whatever it is too.

I thought maybe autozone gave me the wrong receiver/dryer so I had them ord er another one and it is exactly like the old one. All I want is to fix thi s thing so I can drive it once in awhile to keep from putting a lot of mile s on my new truck but it seems everything is working against me.

Here are some pictures of what I am talking about:

ing_zps3873b083.jpg
819f939.jpg

Has anyone out there ran into this or can anyone help me?

Reply to
stryped1

attempted to retrofit the car. However, the receiver drier I purchased would not attach to the compressor manifold/blocks. Inside the low pressure block was some sort of clip or something that kept the hose that is part of the receiver/dryer from going all the way in. I tried to pry it out and basically ruined the block. This year I attempted to do this again and paid 80 bucks for a used compressor off of ebay just to get the blocks because I could not fin them anywhere. And those have this clip or whatever it is too.

another one and it is exactly like the old one. All I want is to fix this thing so I can drive it once in awhile to keep from putting a lot of miles on my new truck but it seems everything is working against me.

If all the diameters/threads seem correct, can't you just grind/cut off enough of the hose so the o-ring will seat?

Reply to
Bill Vanek

attempted to retrofit the car. However, the receiver drier I purchased would not attach to the compressor manifold/blocks. Inside the low pressure block was some sort of clip or something that kept the hose that is part of the receiver/dryer from going all the way in. I tried to pry it out and basically ruined the block. This year I attempted to do this again and paid 80 bucks for a used compressor off of ebay just to get the blocks because I could not fin them anywhere. And those have this clip or whatever it is too.

another one and it is exactly like the old one. All I want is to fix this thing so I can drive it once in awhile to keep from putting a lot of miles on my new truck but it seems everything is working against me.

that's what I would do too, file/sand the male part "ahead" of the o-ring shorter, I think it's too small a piece to cut

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I attempted to retrofit the car. However, the receiver drier I purchased wo uld not attach to the compressor manifold/blocks. Inside the low pressure b lock was some sort of clip or something that kept the hose that is part of the receiver/dryer from going all the way in. I tried to pry it out and bas ically ruined the block. This year I attempted to do this again and paid 80 bucks for a used compressor off of ebay just to get the blocks because I c ould not fin them anywhere. And those have this clip or whatever it is too.

m order another one and it is exactly like the old one. All I want is to fi x this thing so I can drive it once in awhile to keep from putting a lot of miles on my new truck but it seems everything is working against me.

I actually thought of that but was a little afraid as it would require a lo t to sand off.

Reply to
stryped1

attempted to retrofit the car. However, the receiver drier I purchased would not attach to the compressor manifold/blocks. Inside the low pressure block was some sort of clip or something that kept the hose that is part of the receiver/dryer from going all the way in. I tried to pry it out and basically ruined the block. This year I attempted to do this again and paid 80 bucks for a used compressor off of ebay just to get the blocks because I could not fin them anywhere. And those have this clip or whatever it is too.

order another one and it is exactly like the old one. All I want is to fix this thing so I can drive it once in awhile to keep from putting a lot of miles on my new truck but it seems everything is working against me.

to sand off.

Aren't those pipes soft aluminum? If it were me, I would use a dremel cut off blade and smooth the edges by hand sandpaper. Make real sure _ALL_ the grit is washed out.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

attempted to retrofit the car. However, the receiver drier I purchased would not attach to the compressor manifold/blocks. Inside the low pressure block was some sort of clip or something that kept the hose that is part of the receiver/dryer from going all the way in. I tried to pry it out and basically ruined the block. This year I attempted to do this again and paid 80 bucks for a used compressor off of ebay just to get the blocks because I could not fin them anywhere. And those have this clip or whatever it is too.

another one and it is exactly like the old one. All I want is to fix this thing so I can drive it once in awhile to keep from putting a lot of miles on my new truck but it seems everything is working against me.

No, I never ran into it, but maybe I can help. First, look at this

There's probably many other places, that just popped up using "A/C hose adapter" in google. I wouldn't screw around modifying fittings. This stuff is probably known in any decent A/C shop, so if I was confused and not sure it was the right fitting I'd just go to one and ask. They'll probably sell you the fitting you need. Don't be bashful when you don't know something. People like to help. Makes everybody feel good, even if they snicker behind your back. That's good too.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Yes, they are aluminum, should file away quickly. Keep the open end pointed down while working so that the scrap falls away. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh