Corsa C Brake shoe's sticking

I've noticed a few times over the last year that the nearside brake shoe on my 2005 corsa sticks on when I attempt to set off. Until now its just been a but of a clunk and its free but today it was stuck on much more and required quite a bit of effort to get free.

It always seems to be a problem if the car has been sat for a few days and its damp/cold outside.

The car has only done 36k and still has the original shoes on which are not even half worn down.

I'm unsure whether to

a) Replace the shoes and clean/copper slip where necessary. b) Strip/clean/copper slip the current shoes.

I've also read that chamfering the leading/trailing edges of the shoes helps reduce this sticking issue?

Whats the best way forwards to stop the sticking issue im having.

Thanks

Reply to
Rob Kirk

The common reason for this happening is because there is a leak of brake fluid into that wheel, the brake fluid attracts water in the damp weather and the drum rusts onto the shoes, moving away breaks the bond with a bang. Strip the wheel and drum off and have a look, if there is any fluid under the dust seal of the wheel cylinder then replace both cylinders (one each side) If the shoes are majorly worn or wet with brake fluid then replace those too, just to be on the safe side (although I have often cleaned up wet shoes with brake cleaner and they have been fine afterwards [on my own cars I hasten to add]) Bleed fresh brake fluid right through the system and preferably on all four wheels.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

On 27/01/2014 20:35, Mrcheerful wrote:> On 27/01/2014 20:18, Rob Kirk wrote: >> I've noticed a few times over the last year that the nearside brake >> shoe on >> my 2005 corsa sticks on when I attempt to set off. Until now its just >> been a >> but of a clunk and its free but today it was stuck on much more and >> required >> quite a bit of effort to get free. >> >> It always seems to be a problem if the car has been sat for a few days >> and >> its damp/cold outside. >> >> The car has only done 36k and still has the original shoes on which >> are not >> even half worn down. >> >> I'm unsure whether to >> >> a) Replace the shoes and clean/copper slip where necessary. >> b) Strip/clean/copper slip the current shoes. >> >> I've also read that chamfering the leading/trailing edges of the shoes >> helps >> reduce this sticking issue? >> >> Whats the best way forwards to stop the sticking issue im having. >> >> Thanks >>

I've had the same thing with the same car and never really got to the bottom if it. Cylinders were always fine. I found that givng the drums a good cleaning out helps. My theory is that the iron fines produced when braking collect and rust up when damp, it is these fines that then cause the pads to stick.

Reply to
Tom Burton

Thanks for both replies.

I'm hoping to have them apart this weekend and see what's happening in there.

I will report back

Reply to
Kirky