CV joint boot longevity

Many years ago, it ocurred to me that FWD cars should be parked with front wheels straight-ahead. This was after I saw my CV joint boots develop a strong "set" when allowed to cool down in a wheels-turned position. They can then flex in a very contorted way when rolling again, until they warm up.

So I've parked with wheels straight ahead for 10 or more years, and haven't had a split boot in that time.

I do realize that there are other potential hazards for them, like stone damage.

Comments welcome.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Scarily, this makes lots of sense, assuming that the materials used for the boot do adopt a 'set' once cooled.

I've always found that the only time that the boots split will be within a week of my next MOT - would anyone like to comment if they have had this too?

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui

I'd never thought of that, but I always park with the wheels straight anyway.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable