DAB aerial question

I have a DAB Radio (Blaupunkt 52) which needed its own aerial, above the screen, for some reason the FM aerial couldn't be used. Does anyone know whether I can combine both DAB & FM to the rear one instead of having two?

Reply to
Blue Frog

Duncan Wood

I have a DAB radio and wondered the same. My existing aerial was a wing mounted electric telescopic. I bought a combiner off Ebay - not cheap at about 15 quid. The FM was ok, DAB not bad, AM non existent. Taking a deep breath bought the proper roof mounted AM/FM/DAB Blaupunkt active one which is night and day compared to the original. DAB round London is way superior reception wise to FM being rock solid round high buildings etc on any station I've tried. But it cost the thick end of 100 quid and was tricky to install.

If you want to try the combiner you can have it for a fiver plus post. ;-)

I've a feeling a properly engineered active splitter should give reasonable results but don't think anyone makes such a thing - due to the poor take up of DAB in cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The aerial will still be the wrong length, the earlier the gain the lower the noise.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Every aerial is the wrong length for other than one spot frequency. But the DAB band is approx double the frequency of the FM one which is why domestic FM aerials work quite well for DAB if the polarisation is correct.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)