Dealer trouble

Depends on milage, if she tootles around doing 1000 miles a year it will last a fair old time, if she intends to stick 80K a year on the car then its a different matter

Reply to
steve robinson

Fairly typical of the used car trade. They are experts at everything. Until it comes to actually fixing a fault, of course.

If you can prove he claimed it had a recent belt and waterpump change then I'd expect that to be done. But wouldn't trust him to do it since he's obviously a chancer. But it would also be unreasonable to expect him to pay for it to be done at a main dealer. I'd check on the cost at a good independant.

However, if you really was after a car with a full up to date service history, it might just be better to get your money back and look for one which has. Because if something as important as this has been neglected, what else has too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wish you could hear how full of crap he is. There is a reliable local option for doing the work and I'd be happy to pay for half of it, but he doesn't accept it needs done and argues that faults are not really faults etc etc.

Agree totally, but he won't.

Reply to
aeio

She took it as true since it was printed in the ad and he'd stated it on the phone.

Yes it was - ad stated both already done so no need to worry. When asked for clarification he stated they were good for 66K miles and that the paperwork was there to prove it.

You've

fair enough but there is no disagreement about the waterpump - he said it had been changed and it hasn't. Does that alone not mean that false info has been give, the car is not as described,and therefore rejectable?

Reply to
aeio

Well, yes. Sounds like he's not going to give in. So either contact trading standards (not much chance of help there) or take him to the small claims court. But you have no guarantee of actually getting any money they award.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

> > repair-fault-and-orders-him-to-pay-2750/52909 > >

Caveat emptor springs to mind, buyer beware is a rough translation

They may well be.

You might be hard pressed to get the courts to agree with you if he had admitted the error and offered to rectify the situation by replacing the pump.Its an old car

Reply to
steve robinson

And be prepared to pay a premium for it

Reply to
steve robinson

Would this welcome change apply to a genuine VW cambelt kit bought in

2010? Could that be determined by measuring dia of idler pulley? What about water pump? If it is the original water pump -12 years old- would you change it, or risk it? (and bearing in mind it has had the wrong coolant in and now appears to be mainly water??)
Reply to
aeio

If it were me I'd be inclined to lean on the dealer to meet the cost of the belt/pump change. If he doesn't, I'd chalk I'd it up to experience and get it done myself. Life's too short, and these dealers wind people up for a living.

That's leaving the issue of the FVWSH claim. If that's not demonstrably true I'd be off to the trading standards people for advice.

Reply to
RJH

Does it warm up properly? Most cars I've seen with dodgy coolant don't have T-stat.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Apparently it does warm up OK. What is T-stat? It should have red coolant. I don't know how important this is though. It has pale green liquid and most relevent thing in SH is:

25/6/14 at 131824 miles AutoCheck Chiswick New heater hose & rad cap. Anti freeze.
Reply to
aeio

T stat = thermostat

Orange antifreeze lasts longer than green has different corrosion inhibitors, as long as they are not mixed yuo shouldnt have a problem

Reply to
steve robinson

LOL - yes have heard of those - thought T-stat sounded like some electronic parameter

OK good news, but if it is only remnants of anti freeze that is not so good corrosion wise, but then it could hardly have got through the Winter like that so not sure what the story is there. Have already bought G12 for it.

Reply to
aeio

If your going to replace flush out the system with water fill up with water only take it out for a 20 minute spin and get it nice and warm drain off using the usual precautions , make sure heater matrix is switched to hot let the engine cool off flush again then refil with antifreeze and water

If th termostat is easy to remoe take it out and replace it, there are only a few pounds

Reply to
steve robinson

OK thanks for the advice but unlikely to be doing it myself as I'm a few hundred miles away. Will aim to keep thermostat in stock though if she keeps car - like replacing things before they go. Have just bought the cheapest G12 coolant for it I could find in case the guy asked to do the job doesn't flush it properly, and was planning to put some G30 in when I got the opportunity.

Reply to
aeio

steve robinson put finger to keyboard:

It's not _just_ mileage. Hint: The service interval is specified in miles and years, to be replaced whichever comes first.

Reply to
Scion

recomends 80000 miles, or 48 months

Reply to