Dealing with rust bubbles

Apart from the obvious way of sanding it down etc and spraying yourself... I've done this on pervious cars I've owned and its always looked s**te.

Any other ways?

OK. So I aint going to pay to have the whole panel resprayed either.....

Do the chipsaway type of people do rust patches? I know they recently quoted me =A360 for a large-ish scratch.

Reply to
paulfoel

IF you don't want it to look s**te..

Grind back area to good metal. Cut out the rusty bit and replace with new metal.

It'll probably look s**te then if it's an older car.

No. That would require knowledge that the one day training course doesn't give you.

Reply to
Conor

paulfoel ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Plenty of other short-term bodges, yes.

No.

If it's behind the paint, then it's coming from the other side of the steel. Or, rather, it's come from the the other side of where there USED to be steel but is now ferric oxide.

Reply to
Adrian

Any other ways?

OK. So I aint going to pay to have the whole panel resprayed either.....

Do the chipsaway type of people do rust patches? I know they recently quoted me £60 for a large-ish scratch.

Knock the lumps off and put a sticker over the rusty bit.

Reply to
MrCheerful

For small rust bubbles .....

Use one of those dremel tools with the small grinding wheel attatchement instead of sanding .

Dont spray - use one of those little touch up brushes and gradually build up the layers of paint .

Reply to
Krustov

I've bought a small artists airbrush for mine :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Thats a generalisation - could be a stone chip thats got out of hand - doesnt have to have come from the other side.I have a boot panel under a spoiler thats bubbled on top but theres not a hint of rust on the underside or even round the hole where the spoiler is bolted through.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Spray shop charged me £250 for front bumper and front drivers side panel, complete grind rust treatment then spray. Great colour match very happy with the job.

Reply to
History

Yes, most of the long-established ChipsAway operations will repair rust patches. We certainly do.

Reply to
tol.poyersleeman

Coyoteboy ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

In which case, it's come from a hole in the paint, not behind the paint.

Reply to
Adrian

Ahh well noted, I'll get my coat lol. Pedant mode scolded.

Reply to
Coyoteboy