I'm getting frustrated ;-)

I'm now 2 weeks into my search for a 33 replacement.... and so far have not even come close to buying a car :-(

Latest one was a 155 2lt 16v TS. Looked pretty good with sportspack and nice black alloys. But it sounded like a diesel. That'll be £400 to change the belts and variator, then. The trader selling it got well stroppy with me when I pointed this out. Oh well.....

Just about every 145 / 146 I've seen is either overdue or just about to need the belt and tensioner service, which is both inconvenient and expensive. Anything that has had it is for sale at silly money privately.

There's some 156s around, ex-lease (or company) but I _really_ don't feel like spending close on £5k on an 80k miles old car.

Also looked at a Bravo HGT (lovely motor), but it's not an Alfa, and insurance companies want as much to insure it as it would cost to cover a 155 V6 :-(

Last option that I have at the moment is a very nice-looking 33 P4. Had a gearbox rebuild about 20k miles back, and a new P4 ECU within the last couple of years. Full history for last 6 years, 84k miles on it. For sale at under a grand. That's more like it.

Does anyone know if the P4 is to be avoided (due to P4-related problems), or is it worth a punt - at the right money?

Someone _must_ have a car I want to buy ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

saw a 740 on an M plate for £2500 the other day if only I had the money and the space and the need etc

Reply to
dojj

Simple - you like italian, odd, quick, sharp handling....

You like exclusive, rare, hard to find....

Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Heh.

Yeah, it's on my list.

Quite a few turn up at the 'Autoitalia' days - including a couple with the 5-cyl Coupe engine.

But try finding a straight one for sale.

Reply to
SteveH

You've never owned an italian car?????

They become part of your life, they are stubborn, awkward, moody, yet oddly rewarding, characterful, chirpy. They seem to enjoy a good hard backroad blast as much as you do, and yet save you from a mundane day at the office by refusing to start because the day looks dull.

Doesn't matter whether it's Fiat, Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini (although I reckon the new lamborghinis should be as reliable as Audis) they all have the one thing that few other marques have, you park, walk away, pause, look back, grin, then carry on walking.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No, not really. Well, i did have a rental Fiat Seicento for a week....enjoyed revving the nuts off it in town....mighty loud exhaust note as well !

:)

Reply to
26ReD

Indeed - it suffered 205 syndrome - except you did have to lift off (or think mid-corner braking was a good idea) to provoke it, mid corner bumps wouldn't send you into the hedge.

Shame really - one of the best things Fiat ever did and they never matched it with the Bravo (although they're pretty neat to drive).

As you've already got a 33 in the family, why not get an X1/9...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Agreed...there's one parked down my street and a lady driver owns it. Both bumpers have the paint peeling off, rear bumper is held by strings, body has dings and dents and a rear passenger window is missing. But it has very nice looking alloys and red brake calipers which looks real smart. Interior is very clean as well.....shame about the exterior.

Reply to
26ReD

Exactly the point - they enjoy being driven by people who enjoy driving - pulled a 6 mile old Bravo from a rental company once, was doing 100 in 3rd less than 2 miles from the depot.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Because I already have a s**te old open top on the drive..... and the other 33 is going in the spring. Being replaced by a Seicento Sporting 'Schumacher' (I have been told.....)

I'm a helpless 33 addict, too ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Only good thing about the 33 is the boxer motor

Keep holding out for a 75, or get a 164 and waddle your way down every backroad!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Lol. This one has a Recaro interior. Which is nice.

Heh..... wouldn't mind a 164. But it would have to be a V6 Auto to really make sense.

75s are rare as the proverbial.

A 4wd 33 is a pretty good compromise.

Reply to
SteveH

No it's not.

How about an Uno Turbo? Or a Y10.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

As driven by bouncers, dealers and wannabe council estate gangsters these days.

And most of the older, affordable, ones aren't. See above.

Reply to
SteveH

That'll be because you're as fussy as f*ck, and expect the world for 10p.

80k is nothing on most modern cars... and if its ex lease or company, you can expect it to have had spot on, no expense spared servicing, all its life.

Not only that, but it has probably clocked up the majority of those miles up on a motorway - far better than something which has clocked up say 50k just doing school runs etc.

Honestly Mr H, it's about time you got over this stigma you attach to higher miles cars, cos the only persons losing out as a result, is the vendor(s), and yourself.

Yes, your local Alfa main dealer, I should think... only trouble is, low miles cars cost low miles money - can't have your cake and eat it!

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Whereas Punto Sportings are driven by airheaded peroxide tarts who take it up the ring... which would you prefer to be associated with?

Rubbish... there is the odd exception out there... you just have to look for it.

The good thing about the E34, is that a lot of people have aspired to owning one... yes, even the older ones, so when they do finally get their hands on one, they tend to keep it well fettled, rather than just driving it til it falls to bit.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Uno turbo was OK. But they're all shagged or terminally rusty these days.

The Y10 was an abomination when it was launched. And most have rusted away by now.

Reply to
SteveH

Oh, 'fussy as f*ck' in wanting the cars to be as described, owned by the person flogging them, or even not needing several hundred pounds spending on 'em before you even start driving them?

Wrong. I've seen / phoned about several cars that were disposed of by the lease company rather than splash out on the 'big' 72k miles service.

That's true.

High miles isn't a problem, so long as the maintenance has been done properly. Most of the Alfa / Fiat kit I've seen has been flogged before the expensive stuff comes up. Or needs a pretty expensive job doing because someone took the cheap option on the last big service (ie. that

155 and cam variator)

I don't mind paying proper money for a proper car. But I have yet to find one.

Reply to
SteveH

Don't forget the bit about it *HAS* to be eytie...

You've been sniffing around the bargain basement, that's half the point; you seem to expect a minter with no problems for under £500, and whilst they do exist, it takes time to root them out.

The fact you insist on just looking at brands which have a tendency to fall to bits and cost the earth in repairs compared to some of their compatriarts, isn't going to enhance your chances of finding something worthy of your hard earned / blagged.

They've stated this, have they?

Maybe if you widened your sights slightly to other brands, you may find something which meets your criteria (in this respect at least), after all.

But yet again we come to the definitive point - the brands you insist are all you will consider...!

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Well, i guess we only drove the way we did because it was a rental car. I would never do that to my own car....at least not for a sustained period of time.

Reply to
26ReD