Degreasing

Hi,

Got some Swarfega degreasing fluid and a degreaser air gun. If I stay away from spraying the battery is there any problem with spraying the rest of the engine bay?

Ta,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Could I ask why you would want to do it?. Surely a layer of grease is good.

Reply to
Matt

Not when you're trying to undo things, or find the oil leak etc. Clean engines are always easier to work on.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Avoid the electrics where possible, any water in bearings & brushes never helps.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Depends. Some VWs are coated with a clear cavity wax type stuff for rust protection in the engine bay, so you may remove that inadvertantly. As others have said, a bit of grease in the engine bay can be useful, but a clean engine can also be easier to work on. My POV is that it's fine to clean stuff, as long as you make sure stuff you're going to need to undo at some point has some grease on it...

Reply to
Doki

Grease on it won't make it easier to undo.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It'll stop it seizing. And that'll make it easier to undo...

Reply to
Doki

Only if you put it on before you assemble it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood