Demostration spark plug machine

aHi All, When I was a kid , what 25 years ago maybe, there used to be a rather nice spark plug machine on to of the local garage counter. It had a spark plug in it and a button you could make the plug spark. It was for demonstration purposes I guess. I think it was in a glass type box (a bit like Orac?). Anyone remember them and know the manufacture? Are they rare?

Keep well,

Will

Reply to
Will

You could always build one yourself, you just need a battery and a coil.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Sadly, I was a grown up 25 years ago...

I do remember the machine you describe. It was a spark plug tester. It had a control to vary the voltage supplied to the plug under test, and the idea was you turned the voltage up from a low level until the plug began to spark. A graduated dial on the knob you turned would show if the plug was servicable or not, based on how high the voltage needed to make it spark was.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

...and something to make and break the primary of the coil if you wanted more than 1 spark :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

demonstration

We had a cleaning and testing machine in the first garage I worked in, and it was the job of the young sprog (me) to clean and test the plugs of cars in for servicing. The machine had a grit blaster where you inserted the plug, and pressed the cover to release the grit under air pressure to clean the plug. Then you screwed the plug into a chamber with a window, connected a lead, pressed a button to make it spark, and turned up the air pressure to see when the spark died. The catch was, if you touched the cover for the cleaning part of it whilst testing, you got a hell of a poke off it. Then everyone had a good giggle as you yelped.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat