DG unit security tape

Got an external uPVC double glazing unit which has a knackered seal. I'm going to change it myself but it will be the first time I've done such a thing. Can anyone offer any tips with regards to releasing the old glazed unit from the grip of the security tape?

Thanks.

Reply to
Davey

hmmm tricky one that, not come across many cars with double glazing ! you might want to try a diy newsgroup.

Reply to
reg

quite a few late luxury cars are double glazed.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Though possibly not with uPVC ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Sorry, wrong group!

Reply to
Davey

Adrian C

Lumphammer.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

What sort of car is this on?

Reply to
Roger

I'm guessing S-Class, Maybach, Armoured 7 series, or Toyota Century.

Reply to
Elder

lexus ls400

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Some, if not all variants of Audi A8 have it.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Mine didn't but it was a very early import one badged as a Toyota Celsior. Mind you it did have electricley adjustable heated vibrating independantly reclining rear seats, and a switch to push the front passenger seat forward to give extra leg room in the rear. That was an option back in 1991/2, and it still all worked perfectly in late 2007/early 2008 when I sold it.

Reply to
Elder

Ah, I forgot about the other teutonic master brand.

Reply to
Elder

I think it is the mk4 model onwards that is dglazed. I recently serviced a mk3 with 200k on the clock, it still runs and drives almost like new. radio display has lost a few segments is about the worst fault.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ja, das neue Teutonic Citroen C5....

(Also C4, C6)

Reply to
Adrian

X5s too, I think.

Reply to
Doki

Mine was only about 90k on the clock, but looked like it had been=20 neglected all its life.

Crap condition for an LS400, but magnificent for anything else over=20

15years old. Still got over 25 to the gallon mixed commuting, it cost me=20 =A3600 with a fresh ticket, but absolutley no history since it had been=20 imported in 1996, not even one old service or halfords receipt in the=20 boot under the carpet. Had one small rust bubble on the drivers door, a=20 few stone chips on the bonnet, one lifter tapping a bit on the right=20 hand back bank which is common and leavable until the next big job, and=20 the JDM spec leather was worn on the drivers bolster, but apart from=20 that, once you got used to the wallow it was a great drive. Shame the=20 air suspension had been switched off, and the struts replaced with=20 standard coilover struts. It had the pump and all the wiring there, but=20 the struts were just too pricey an option to replace hoping the rest=20 worked.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Hydrofluoric Acid.

(nope, don't do it!)

Reply to
Adrian C

I got one of those, best individual tool I have ever bought.

Reply to
Mrcheerful