Keeping mud out of Starter?

Greetings all,

Been a long long time since I've done any posting here. Finally have a fast connection again and such.

Anyways, just wondered if anyone has done something with their starter to keep the mud out of it. I just replaced mine over the weekend and I could see that the mud had been getting into it. I thought about putting some silicone or something for a seal before mounting the starter but figured I wouldn't bother until I had some opinions.

Btw, it's a good thing I swapped out the easy-grip black knob bolts for mounting my CB with some decent bolts.. I was able to take one of them when I snapped off the smaller electrical connection bolt on the starter. :P I had kept the old easy-grip bolt and put it back onto the CB. Remember, big ratchet and long extension not a good idea for tiny little bolt. :P

Evan

Oh yeah, not really important for this question but '98 Wrangler 4.0L 4" Teraflex 1" Body 3/4 Spacers on front and 35" tires

Reply to
Evan M.

You likely could have just cleaned the mud out....

WD40 works great for this.

The mud gets in and seizes up the brushes. Most of the time all you need is a clean. If the brushes got eaten up, they are really cheap to replace.

I use dielectric grease or spark plug boot protector on all the seams on the starter when putting them back together. It seems to help, but there is nothing you can do at the gear end.

Mike

"Evan M." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain