Mondeo oil leak

Hi all,

I have an engine oil leak (more like a flood) on my 93 Mondeo 1.6 Petrol....I haven't managed to trace where it is coming from yet, but I just wondered if anyone has any ideas what it can be. The leak only occurs when the engine is running, but the location of the leak seems to exclude end oil seals (crankshaft/camshaft).

It is leaking from below the inlet manifold and roughly half way between the oil filter and sump plug. The 2nd sump bolt is covered in oil and it leaks down over the exhaust pipe.

I'm hoping that it is only the sump gasket that needs changing, but is there anything else in that region that could be the cause?

Many thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Might be worth changing the oil Filter, maybe the oilfilter seal is defective, or even no seal at all !

Reply to
^^tHe^MiXeR^^

I would recomed giving the engine a good clean to get and exact point of where its leaking.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

is the oil pressure switch here?

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks all,

I certainly need to get underneath to have a good look once the skip is off the drive ;-)

It is not the oil filter, but I'd be interested to know where the oil pressure switch is 'cause this could be the problem (and would be damned easier to change).

Many thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

It's not coming from the oil pressure light switch, is it? I've had that on one or two cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Thanks Dave,

I'm now hoping that this is what it is. I haven't been able to look yet, but it makes sense as the leak only appears with the engine running.

I should be able to get the car up on ramps soon so can have a better look....meanwhile, it's off the road :-(

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Thanks all, it was in fact the oil pressure switch as suggested.

As I hadn't had chance to take a look at the switch, I took a huge gamble with my £4.15 and bought a new one. Swapped it in less than 10 minutes (from above the engine and not underneath as suggested by Haynes) and it's all OK.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
Mark