New Astra - Gearbox Problem

Today, I've struggled to get my 2003 Astra into 5th gear when changing up from 4th. The only way I could do it was to move the gear stick back to 3rd and then with a little force I could get it into 5th. There is no way it will go into 5th from 4th.

The car is still under warranty, and I will be taking it into the dealer. But seeing I'm a little worried about this does anyone know what the problem might be.

Regards Kevin B

Reply to
Kevin B

No idea, but other than this, i am thinking of buying one of these cars ( see another post) what you think of yours, any other problems, niggles, etc?

Reply to
Tom Burton

Probably just wants the gear linkage or cables adjusting. 10 min job.

Reply to
Me2

Hi Tom, Just so you know, the model I have is the Astra 1.7DTi estate. It's the first diesel I've owned and I'm VERY pleased with it. I've had no other problems and the only niggles I've found is that there apears to be very little engine braking with a diesel, so to slow down you have to apply the brakes. But perhaps that's down to my driving style. Similarily, is engine management system that takes over at low revs to prevent stalling, it's a pain in bum at times. I like to crawl along on tick-over, but the engine management increases the revs to

950 - 1000rpm which is sometimes to fast for just creeping along. Would I buy an Astra knowing the niggles, YES. It's a brilliant motor, and very economic.

Previously I had always driven Ford's and my first choice was to buy a Focus. But on a pound for pound basis, I thought the Astra won hands down. Ford seem to be hell bent on pricing themselve out of the reach of the average wage earner.

Regards Kevin B

(still worried about the gear box )

Reply to
Kevin B

Fingers crossed Mark, Fingers crossed.

Reply to
Kevin B

Well wattya know!

im looking at the 1.7DTI perhaps estate if the right one comes along!

How do you find it on power? i currently drive a 1.7D (non turbo old style diesel) Corsa and its rather rapidly breathless and is a little ( well a lot) gutless pretty much refuses to do more than 68mph up the M62 towards huddersfield either way.

How do you find the MPG?

BTW 1.7Corsa D for sale 88'000 Miles 12 Month MOT 6Mth Tax

Reply to
Tom Burton

I've had a MkII Astra for 16 years, 332,000 miles and still on the original gearbox. Hope the new ones are as strong!

John

Reply to
John Horobin

Sounds a bit like a clutch that needs adjustment?

Reply to
Dave Spam

Tom Burton raved thus:

:: No idea, but other than this, i am thinking of buying one of these :: cars ( see another post) what you think of yours, any other :: problems, niggles, etc?

It's a great car. Rachel has a 51 plate Astra 1.8 SRi with about 12k on it, ans we've had no problems with it at all. It's been serviced when it should be. She tends to use it for short journeys; to work and back, and general bodding about and it's been trouble free so far. Minor niggle: the mechanism for retaining the dealer mats keeps detaching on the drivers side...

I've got a company 51 plate Astra 1.8 SRi (lol, no imagination; they're even the same colour...) with 54k on it, and again; no problems. It's serviced properly and it runs great. I do plenty of long distance driving and the seats are comfortable, and have plenty of adjustment. They are Recaro-type seats in the SRi though (are they actually Recaros like Vauxhall used to use?), and I know from when I had a Mk4 1.4 Astra as a hire car the seats in it were damned uncomfortable. The lumbar adjustment was in the wrong place for me, but I'm 6'2" so that could be the problem... It has a decent amount of go, and the handling is pretty good although obviously it's no sports car... You get cruise control with the 1.8 and above which I find useful.

One overall niggle: the cup holders are crap! They are in the door pockets.

Abo

Reply to
Abo

Hi there Tom...

We recently acquired a 2002 1.7dti estate and are very pleased with it. Moving from a larger engined petrol car, it has taken a bit of getting used to changing gear a bit more...i.e. it dies in 5th at relatively low speeds! I have found it more fun to drive than I had imagined...and the turbo gives it enough of a kick for our needs....though took a bit of getting used to. Worst part of the car? For me it had to be the seats, I really dont like them at all. Range of positioning is really good...just the ergonomics of the actual seat build are not the best. Best part of the car? It HAS to be the economy! Currently we are averaging around 61mpg, which you really can't be arguin with!! :O)

cheers Glen

Reply to
Glen

If of any use,

Similar problem on my MKIII Astra TDS, wouldn't go into 2nd from 1st unles i really wiggled and worked it. Went into Vauxhall dealer and cheekily asked if there was a part which went faulty a lot in the gear linkage and he produced a hollow bolt.

I looked for a similar part >

Reply to
Michael Shaw

Vauxhall have finally changed the mat fittings for 2004 model year! They are much better now.

Reply to
Alan

My fuel consumption figures found at:

believe the hatchback gets much better mpg As this is the first diesel I've own it difficult to assess it's power. All I can say is that I find it ok on power. You definitely know you have a turbo onboard as you can easily spin the wheels without trying, but its no ferrari so it isn't that dramatic. The turbo comes into it's own on hills, and will easily sail up any on M62 accelarating all the way.

Regards Kevin B

Reply to
Kevin B

The Gearbox problem has been solved.

Guess who has a big red face........ME

Geuss who is going to look a complete k*****ad...... ME.

Guess who will have explain to the dealer why he's cancelling the bringing in the car......... ME.

Tonight, on the way home when trying engage 5th gear I heard the sound of plastic cracking. I looked down at the gear stick and found the problem turned out to be my cigarette lighter that had fell into rubber moulding at the base of the gearstick. It was hidden from view by the folds in the rubber but was prevented the gearstick from moving over to engage 5th gear.

Upon further examination I found the lighter had cracked and all the gas had leaked out. Suspect it aint covered by the warranty

Go on have a good laugh, just think about me tomorrow when I have to tell the lads at work.

Kevin B

Reply to
Kevin B