Diesel Starting Problem 2

Hi

I have come to the conclusion that perhaps the glow plugs are ok and the relay is ok, it clicks on and off after about 10 seconds.

Once the car has started if I turn it off straight and try and start again, it will. I am guessing that it is an air leak? Is there a hand primer pump on peugeot 1.9 turbo diesel engines? Or is there a common seal that needs replacing after a while?

Thanks all

Reply to
Rich

Going by your previous post, it's a glow plug issue. Until you have checked that the glow plugs are definately working, there's no point looking for other problems which probably don't exist.

Reply to
moray

Your conclusion is wrong. All you have proved is that the timing relay for the glowplugs operates correctly. One or more glowplugs may be open circuit.

The priming pump is an inline bulb like thing usually mounted to the left of the distributor pump.

If you leave the car overnight, then pop the bonnet and pump the priming bulb, I bet the problem will still be there - replace the glowplugs as a set, ensuring you fit the plugs for a TD not a NA, otherwise you'll find yourself doing the job again (and the right hand plug is a pig to get to).

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

ok, anyway can someone tell me one thing!

The garage I took my car too, said that they plugged the 'computer' in and it said 2 glow plugs were faulty. Judging by the lack of wires coming from the relay, I can't see how this could be diagnosed?? Sounds like bullshit to me and an excuse to charge another £35.

Reply to
Rich

If they have a gadget that measures amps then they can tell how many are working.

Why did you ask a garage after being told what the problem was?

Reply to
MrCheerful

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:39:25 -0000, "John Kenyon" wrote: - replace the glowplugs as a set,

"I didn't know that".... there are two types of glowplug? Applies to all auto manufacturers?

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

Reply to
jhewitt

There are loads of different glow plugs for the same engine, different countries and specs require different plugs. Worse thing though is putting poor quality ones in, they have very short lives, even shorter if the grade is wrong too.

Reply to
MrCheerful

This was what happened previous to my posting!

I haven't got a multimeter, but I suppose its a good investment.

Reply to
Rich