head gaskets - timescale for arranging a repair ?

My S reg Hyundai Accent (63k on the clock) has had a little mayo in the filler cap for a while now, although it may just be due to its life consisting of short runs, never really getting up to a high enough temp to burn the water off.

There`s no sign of oil in the water, but I think I am starting to use / lose a little water now (possibly a half a pint in the last 3000 -

5000 miles) - there are no leaks that I know of, and i`m starting to wonder if it might be the head gasket on its way out.

Can anyone give me an indication just how quickly a blown gasket can escalate and cause massive damage, or would I be likely to see far more obvious signs before it went ?

Can anyone tell me what the gas analysis test is called on the coolant, in case I feel the need to go get one done ?

Thanks :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I would rate that rate of water loss as very inconclusive. Have you been cleaning out the mayo regularly? That would remove some water each time.

Reply to
SteveB

Not that regularly tbh, but its something i`ll keep my eye on a little more in future I think...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

The message from Colin Wilson contains these words:

That sounds more likely, given the mileage and usage. Give it a good long thrash to get it really hot and see if it reccurs. Keep checking the water level assiduously .

Reply to
Guy King

Sounds about right.

I had a car with a leaking head gasket, and it was dry after 4 days of moderate use, unbeknown to me of course.

They just 'go'. The usual cause is a small split/break in the gasket between the water jacket and the combustion chamber.It can be like this for a few weeks, but in that time the water level will drop, with no visible leakage - it'll be going out of the exhaust. Once it gets bigger, the water will be gone in seconds/minutes, and the engine will quickly overheat.If you dont notice this, it'll just get hotter, and the head will likely warp.Once it has overheated, they'll be black smoke everywhere - I was doing 50 on the m/way, looked down, temp. guage in the red, shit, time to pull over, by the time I'd got to the shoulder, there was a plume of black smoke behind me. Luckily, the only damge was the head gasket, and a slightly warped head, on their own, around £100 to DIY, but I did every other associated thing when it was apart, so nearer £500 total.

If you suspect a head gasket leak, take off the filler cap of the radiator, with the engine running(from cold), and see if there are any bubbles/pressure. When I did mine, the AA man filled it with water, turned over the engine, and it was like a fountain coming out of the filler. Just keep an eye on the water level, but I dont think you should worry. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

If you have mayo in the water filler cap, then that is a bad sign, I think he meant in the oil filler cap, where it usually is found. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

By cleaning the oil filler?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To chemically detect exhaust gas in the coolant, the implement is called a Combustion Leak Tester.

Here is an interesting and highly relevant article:

Lin Chung

Correct - apologies for my crap description :-}

Water filler = clean, no sign of oil in the water Oil filler = mayo (just be condensation that isn`t getting burnt off?)

I haven`t checked the top of the rad yet !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I recently purchased a '98 Accent coupe ( mainly due to an excellent suggestion from this newsgroup ) During pre-purchase inspection I noticed the oil filler cap was oozing with mayo, so I paid particular attention to the other signs of HGF, nothing found but still negotiated a discount!

I've run it for a month now with no problems, no water loss, overheating, or oil contamination, hopefully it is just a characteristic of this engine (

1.3? )

Apparently an oil change for a quality oil may help but haven't got round to this yet

Reply to
Steptoe

Also worth checking the engine breathers are all clear and functioning correctly - including checking any hoses etc for partial blockages.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got the wrong end of the (dip)stick there. I'd still say that amount of water loss is inconclusive though.

Reply to
SteveB