Diesel Engines - Starting

Sort of. It's more associated with chucking lots of unburnt diesel out of the exhaust. So, yeah, it's emissions...

It'll have glow plugs, but they're not needed until it's well below freezing.

Reply to
DervMan

Not sure about mazda but VW state that "you can start the engine without waiting for the glowplug light to go out as long as the temperature is above 5C"

Hope this helps

phil

DervMan wrote:

Reply to
philraine

My renualt espace doesn'tuse then unless it's -11degs.

Nick

Reply to
Nick (Scots)

Do you mean it doesn't show the warning light, or it genuinely doesn't use them? :-p

ECU-controlled, direct injection diesels don't need them to the same degree because it can retard the fuel injection until the mixture is compressed more and therefore hotter.

Reply to
DervMan

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "mr p" saying something like:

If you keep your foot off the clutch, the only bit in the gearbox being turned is the input shaft, which is well clear of the oil, so very little drag.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon