Diesel Focus problem

Like a prat I put petrol in my TCi Diesel Focus. I was towed to the garage and the petrol pumped out. They had difficulty starting it but eventually it did, and now it has two problems, When it is idling it hunts - every second or so it blips from its normal 800 rpm to 850 and back. On three ocaisons I slow down for some reason, take my foot off the throttle, and the engine dies. This scared the hell out of me, especially coming up to a corner as the steering locked as well. Can anyone suggest reasons / how to pin down what the problem is? TIA, |P

Reply to
Hawkeye TheNoo

sounds like the injector pump is damaged, bye-bye 800 pounds or more

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

is a lot more simple than that. However careful your garage may have been in removing the petrol, in my experience there will (for a while) be a small amount of petrol remaining in the system, which will disperse the more you use it.This is what is causing the glitches, and if you can persevere with the problems, IMHO they will gradually disappear.It will help if you can fill the car up to the brim with new diesel, and thus diluting the effects of the petrol. The power steering did not "lock".,by the way, it merely reverted to "non power steering" by virtue of the fact that the engine had stopped. I realise that if you are not used to it, it can be very disconcerting and can require a lot of effort to turn the wheel, but you can still control the car by using a bit of strength.

Reply to
Madmucks

Madmucks> it can be very disconcerting and can require a lot of Madmucks> effort to turn the wheel, but you can still control the Madmucks> car by using a bit of strength.

Yeah, and you should try having it happen on a really big car. My Range Rover had the water pump fail 2 years ago which caused sprayed coolant all over the drive belt and made it slip and then jump off. A

2 tonne vehicle on 255x65R16 tyres moving very slowly as it comes to a halt is almost impossible to steer.

--

- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"The world has gone crazy: The best rapper is a white guy, the bestgolfer is a black guy, France is accusing the US of arrogance, andGermany doesn't want to go to war." -- Anon