Diesel in a Petrol Engine

How long does it take for a car to break down (in miles) if you have put diesel in a petrol engine?

Reply to
woodd

[-----------------------] About that many. Ever thought about flushing it out instead?
Reply to
gazzafield

( snipped-for-privacy@mdnationwide.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'll have a quid on "as soon as you pull into the traffic".

Reply to
Adrian

The reason I ask is because I filled my car with what I thought was Petrol at a petrol station - my car died a few miles down the road and was found to have diesel in the engine I checked the receipt and it stated that I had bought and paid for unleaded - I am trying to claim back from them but they are playing hardball - so I want all the facts

Reply to
woodd

Precisely 2.563 miles, or until the diesel gets to the engine. I'm not sure about the 2.563 miles though.

Zimmy

The message from snipped-for-privacy@mdnationwide.co.uk contains these words:

Far enough for you to wish you'd drained it and refilled it.

Actually depending on the engine and the percentage of contamination and how much of the brew you're expecting it to swallow and the strength of the following wind and the colour of stitches in the britches of the boys who put the powder on the noses of the faces of the ladies of the harem of court of King Caractacus - could be ages.

Reply to
Guy King

How much did you put in? How much did you put in last time you filled up?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I smell a rat here. The few miles you mention are about right for the distance. But the thing is, if you put diesel in by mistake, the receipt would say diesel. The only way really you're going to get a result is if the tank at the garage was filled with diesel by mistake by the tanker. In that case, you would not be alone, there would be a gaggle of other cars within

3-4 miles also breaking down. How many people are claiming? If you're the only one, you're toast.

This is what a cynic would say- " you went to a garage and put diesel in by mistake. Then you went to another garage and filled the tank to the top with petrol, hoping it wouldn't break down, but it did. And now you're trying to blame the second garage for your mistake"

Not that I'm an old cynic or anything.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I put =A330 in and I had no petrol in the car before hand, The garage won't provide me with details of any other claimants that they MAY have.... I agree a cynic eould say that - all I can say is that I am being totally honest and that I actually thought that it was my fault until I checked the receipt and was quite surprised to see that it stated unleaded petrol!!!

Reply to
woodd

If I thought diesel was comin out of the unleaded nozzle, I'd go and get a camcorder :o) What's the number of the garage, we can phone em up with complaints of 'DIESEL IS COMIN OUT THE UNLEADED PIPE!'

Reply to
Gøñzølã

all depends, it might not stop at all, just lose power and smoke a bit. most petrol vehicles won't be damaged by some diesel.

Your best course is just to drain and refill and forget about claiming, you would just be wasting more money.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Actually yes, I am told that Mitsi's GDI will run sort of happily-ish on

100% diesel as long as its hot!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

3.7 miles. Give or take a few hundred yards.
Reply to
AstraVanMan

What is the fuel tank capacity?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Are you a member of a national motoring organisation? Their patrols have access to information regarding the amount of permissible mis-fuelling any particular car can tolerate. In the case of most modern diesels, it ain't much!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Unless you've got an old car, a diesel nozzle won't fit. It's too big.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Who deduced diesel was in tank? Could they be wrong and you have broken down for another reason and put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5.646?

Like another post said, if you have a fairly modern car a diesel nozzle won't fit in an unleaded filler.

Bucket

Reply to
Bucket

It doesn't do permanent damage in the majority of cases, although it does need draining and flushing through with petrol. The main symptom, apart from breaking down, is a colossal quantity of white smoke (think Red Arrows - they use diesel in the exhaust).

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

In the last year there was an incident where Leicester Forest services managed to fill the feed tank for their unleaded with diesel. The Northbound M1 was littered with failed cars. There was no failure to admit liability by the garage. It was reported in the local news. It made me late for work. It isn't impossible that it could happen, but yes the cynic's hat seems to fit.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick